VOL 3 Chapter 19 Utility

Ayanokouji POV

That idiot, I didn't think he was going to do something so extreme, I start to quickly go down the cliff, from the beginning I was watching from a safe distance their fight. They were so focused on it that they didn't notice my presence.

Since Hachiman left, I used my vague presence to sneak away, it seems that no one noticed, I was very curious about how Hachiman was going to fight in that state.

I honestly didn't think he was that good, but it shut my mouth, if they were both in perfect condition, they would give me a bit of trouble.

That's not the point right now, I also followed them when Hachiman started to run away from him, it was a good strategy and more in his condition, I was worried when he reached the cliff, I never thought he would throw himself to finish his escape.

Now I'm looking for his body, I keep looking, I don't see him anywhere, besides this rain doesn't help at all.

I keep looking, when I see a figure moving, leaning against the trees. He moves so slowly that it makes me think he is not moving.

It's Hachiman.

I run to his side. And I call out to him softly.

Kiyotaka: Hachiman.

Hachiman: Kiyotaka?

His voice is very weak. I take his arm and put it over my shoulder.

Hachiman: What are you doing here, wasn't I clear enough?

Kiyotaka: Don't talk nonsense, look at the state you're in.

Hachiman: Hehehehe, very pathetic isn't it.

We start walking, I'm curious about where we're going.

Kiyotaka: Is this the direction to the camp?

Hachiman:.... No.... This is the direction where the teachers are.

Now I understand everything.

Hikigaya Hachiman, from the beginning  was planning to give up this test.

Kiyotaka: What do you mean?

Hachiman: You can stop playing the fool, you know I'm going to quit. Look at the state I'm in, I can't even walk on my own.

It's true, he have several bruises, from the fight and the cliff he threw yourself off, plus the fatigue from all this week, honestly it's unbelievable that you've endured so much.

Kiyotaka: I understand, I'll take you to the teacher.

Hachiman: .... Thank you..... you only have to be the leader for a few hours, I leave the rest in your hands, Kiyotaka.

With this he closes his eyes and falls into the realm of unconsciousness.

This guy........ is good, very good.

He saw through the rules, that's why he put himself in such a flashy position, he knew that this way he would attract attention and then they would answer incorrectly because of this trick. My compliments Hachiman, you are quite clever and recursive.

Your methods are unorthodox, I would say risky , though none of that matters anymore. Besides I'm sure you knew perfectly well who the leaders were, when I mentioned the A class I never expected you to be able to see the subtle trap set by Katsuragi.

From the beginning I knew Ibuki was a spy that's why he told me not to break his camera, he must have taken my clue from his hands buried with dirt, he dug into it to hide the radio, and the person who was surely on the other side was Ryuuen. But why did they take pictures? Doesn't Ryuuen trust his own people? The answer is no, but everything changes if third parties are involved. Class A and D, they were with an alliance for this exam.

There are several factors that he took into account, I also do not rule out the one that would be the most work, which is the claiming of several places, if you could claim several places you would get a gain of 70 points.

I didn't have to do anything on this test so far. Still it was good to follow it, it allows me to hit the last nail for the win.

Thank you, Hachiman.

However, let me tell you at this time.....

All people are tools, all have their uses.

You gave me the opportunity to learn new emotions I have never felt.

You gave me what I was most eager to learn, friendship.

You are like a great book that every time you advanced in the story it becomes even more exciting.

You are able to destroy your opponents easily and bring out the potential in your allies. You know the needs and what the class has. If we continue in your hands we will most likely become the most powerful class.

I consider you my friend along with the others in the group. You are the first I have ever considered so.

Your usefulness is too great.

But no matter what the method.

No matter what I have to sacrifice.

All I want is to win.

As long as I win in the end, nothing else matters.

While I'm sunk in my thoughts, he finally arrived at the store where Chabashira-sensei is. I'm near the entrance, when he calls out to her. She comes out.

Chabashira: Ayanokouji...... Hikigaya?!

Ayanokouji: Can we put him inside the tent?

With that we go inside and I lay him down on one of the stretchers inside.

Chabashira: What the hell happened?

Ayanokouji: He fell off a cliff, luckily I was with him and I was able to bring him in.

Chabashira: I will call the medical staff right away, but you will most likely have to leave. He will carry a 30-point penalty.

Ayanokouji: Right, before he fell unconscious, he told me he was going to retire. But besides that, I want the right to be the leader to be passed on to me.

Chabashira: I understand, for health reasons the leader can be changed without any problem. Ayanokouji, you will be given the right as the leader.

I leave the tent with the card, it only remains to guess the leaders to end in victory. It was all very convenient for me.

I return to the camp, it is almost time for the test to be finished, the last roll call will be called and the results of the test will be given. When I arrive I am bombarded by questions from the class, which is to be expected, even so it is quite uncomfortable to be the center of attention. I feel a little sorry for Hachiman.

I reply that he's retired but he'll be fine, this will be enough, but for Hachiman it's going to be a headache later.

We are gathered the Hikigaya group without him, the whole class is also gathered. Along with the other classes.

I'm talking to Ken and Akito.

Akito: That idiot, even when we told him not to overdo it, the first thing he does is put himself in danger, he looks more like a child than Ken.

Ken: It's true..... hey don't insult me half way, but you're right, when I find out again on the boat I'm going to hang him.

Kiyotaka: You want to kill him?

Akito: You don't understand, Kiyotaka, I also want to beat him a little bit, he's quite annoying.

It's true, Haruka and Airi are quite worried about him, or should I say most of the class are, even the ice princess like Horikita, showed an anxious expression when I came with the news.

Ken: O-hey, isn't that Ryuuen?

Akito: Hadn't he retired along with his entire class?

As I expected, Ryuuen is the only one in his class, he kept himself hidden, fooling everyone. A good move.

Ryuuen: Wow, don't look at me so much, I know I'm too handsome for you guys, I'm sorry to tell you that I'm out of your league.

Ken: Shut up, you fucker.

Ryuuen: Shut up, dog, where is Hachiman-san?

Akito: He retired, stop bothering us.

Ryuuen: What did he retire with, I see.

He stays silent after talking to us a little bit, that is until Mashima-sensei interrupts all conversations.

Mashima: You can relax now. The exam is over. Now, this part is our summer vacation. It's okay to act more freely.

Even so, the students were still tense and their chatter ceased instantly.

Mashima: This past week, we, the teachers were able to control their efforts in the special exam. There were students who took this exam directly head-on and those who used their skills in strategy. Various things happened, but I think the test results were splendid overall. We appreciate their hard work.

Everyone worked quite well in this environment.

Mashima: Well, then, without further ado, I would like to announce the final result of the special test.

I'm looking forward to seeing everything that Hachiman did.

Mashima: We will not accept any questions or inquiries about the test results. You must accept the test result and then we would like you to analyze them and use them as an aid in the next test.

He says this to avoid unnecessary complaints coming after announcing the results, it just makes me think that they are somehow outrageous.

Mashima:Okay, now we will announce the ranking of the special exam. The lowest is Class D with 0 points.

At this Ryuuen is shocked.

Ryuuen: 0 points? That's impossible.

With a murmur he exclaims.

Ken: Hahahahahahahahahaha take that you bastard.

Akito: Ken, that's enough, stop bothering him.

Hachiman was quite versatile when it came to dismantling Ryuuen's strategy.

Mashima: Afterwards, in 3rd place is Class A with 120 points. Second place is Class C with 140 points.

Hearing the results, an uproar breaks out among the students, calculating their possible mistakes.

Mashima: And Class B........... took first place with 295 points. This concludes the announcement of the test results. 

The impact hits everyone equally, even our own class. It is inconceivable, practically our class had a decrease of 5 points.

Hachiman took the way to passively increase points and took advantage of it, he saw something that everyone did not want to do after all it is too much work for just one point.

Every step we take is agigandized towards the A class.

Ken: H-hey, did I hear right, we took first place with that many points?

Akito: Y-you're not the only one, we actually won overwhelmingly.

Horikita approaches me along with Hirata.

Horikita: Ayanokouji -kun What does this mean?

Ayanokouji: Why me?

Hirata: You're the last one to meet Hachiman-kun, please give us answers for these results.

Ayanokouji: I guess my performance doesn't fool anyone, Hachiman figured out the class leaders, he was also able to come up with a strategy not to lose points if they guessed the leader, and the other points I think you guys have better details.

Fall into deep thought, this ends my part, I didn't have to do much.

Hachiman, I look forward to what more surprises you can bring me.