Prologue

Oaklynn's POV:

          Life has always been a shitshow and also way better than you could imagine being raised by a single mom. Misty James, she was seventeen when she had me, and twenty when she had my brother. Her choice in men had always been… questionable. She used to have flings and one boyfriend my brother and I adored, but as we got older guys didn’t seem to be too crazy about a single mom with teenagers. 

          But we never let that bother us. For as long as I can remember, it had always been us three, now it’s about to be them two. In a few months I am going to college, and no matter how much I want to stay near home my mom wants my brother and I to get out and explore the world like she wasn’t able to. There wasn’t much of a fight I could put out, whatever Mom wants, she gets. I think it’s because of the soft spot we have for her. She’ll tell you it’s the respect though. 

         “Come on Oaklynn James! The anticipation is killing me!” Rebel, my younger brother, yells. I pull up the email that holds my future. “Which school is this?” He asks, and I look at him with the ‘you should know’ look. It’s obvious which school this is from. The only school I have ever really wanted to go to. Not to mention, but also the only school I haven’t heard from. 

          I got into all my back up schools, which I knew I would, but this one is iffy. Not everyday someone from a small town in Tennessee gets accepted into the University of Michigan. I have worked my butt off to get into a good school. “I’m waiting on Mom.” I snap at his impatience, and his eyes widen. “This holds my life dude, and I’d like for Mom to be here when I open it.” 

          Maybe that’s just me, but I’d like the person who gave me life- after the guy who knocked her up told her abort mission or he’d leave- and the person who managed to help me get the grades to pretty much get into any college I wanted to be here when I open the letter they emailed. She did a damn good job at keeping our school work done, and her own. She was going to med school while I was in second grade- and let me tell you decimals are hard- she was also working that way my Nana didn’t have to support us all the way. By the time she had Rebel, she was in her last year. She still worked and went to school. Right before he was born, she graduated. She took time off to raise him before doing interns at the hospital our small town has, and when he turned one she interned. 

          My mom is my hero, the person I aspire to be, and also my kryptonite. Maybe that is controversial, but it’s the truth. There’s nothing I don’t love about her, and there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to please her. In my eyes, she deserves the world and more. 

          “I’m home. Let’s open the damn letter!” My mother yells from the front door, and I laugh. She’s never been like other mom’s. She’s always been the ‘cool’ mom. Cusses like a sailor, lets us express ourselves however we want, lets us have freedom. You know, that mom. Most parents looked down on her because of how young she was when we were growing up, and how her parenting was different from theirs. 

          When the lady who looks a lot like me walks into the kitchen where my brother and I are sitting, she sits on my left side, and grabs my left hand. “Ready?” I ask, and they let out a breathy laugh. I am most definitely not ready. Sure, I got accepted into other great colleges, but this is my dream one. You know how in Gilmore Girls, Rory’s bedroom is covered in Harvard stuff? Yeah, that was my bedroom but I had Michigan stuff all over. 

          I glance at my little family, and when they nod at me, I click on the email to open it. Once I have it clicked on, I look at the ceiling. A few seconds pass, and I finally look at the screen. Before I can read, Rebel is reading out loud, “Dear Miss James, After carefully examining your application, we regret to inform you,” He pauses, and I look at him wide eyed, “that you have been accepted to the University of Michigan!” He shouts, and I have to read the email for myself. 

          As my eyes scan the email, I can’t believe what’s in front of me. Oaklynn James, Congratulations! We are happy to inform you that you have been accepted for the fall semester of 2023 at the University of Michigan! 

          I reread that line a million times. “I got in.” I whisper. “I got in!” I shout, and I am pulled into a hug by the two people who are my whole world. “I’m going to the University of Michigan!” I say, and tears build up in my eyes. “I did it Momma. I got in.” I whisper to her, and she grabs my face. 

         “I know, baby. You got in!” She whispers back, and my tears start falling when I notice hers are. “We have to call Nana and tell her.” She tells me, and I nod. 

          After the two hour call with Nana, I get ready for tomorrow’s graduation, and my mom and brother set up the house for the party they insist I have. 

          As I go to bed, there’s only one thing on my mind. I got into the University of Michigan. 

---------
Hello loves! It's been a while!

Next chapter is already up!