14: Oaklynn

We get into Holland's truck, dressed in sweatpants and hoodies. When he asked me if we could go on a date here, I was surprised. I was even more surprised when he asked me to show him around. He constantly proves he wants to really know me, but I'm questioning his intentions like I do with any guy who wants to know me.

        It's just how I am. Any man can want to know you. Any man can act like he's interested in your life. But a true man will put in an assload of effort to know about you. And Holland has. He's asked the right questions, he's interacted with my mom and brother, and he's made more of an attempt than anyone else I've dated.

        Most of the guys just wanted to hook up, and I was fine with that. Girls have needs too. They'd take me on a date, then we'd go to a park and get it on in their backseats. I have a feeling that Holland has no intention of sleeping with me when our date ends, and that sends a comfortable feeling through me. One that reminds me he's not like the others.

        "Best fast food place?" Holland asks, and I shrug. He sighs, pulls out his phone and after a few minutes asks, "Okay, guess where I am taking you." I shrug, and he stares at me, "Just guess."

        I take a few seconds to think, "Umm, McDonalds?" He shakes his head, and I shrug. There aren't very many fast food places here, so unless he decided he wants Mexican or Chinese, there are only five more places it could be.

        "We're going to Malena Anita's Mexican. I figured we could place a to-go order, then go watch the sunset? We can pick up Rebel and your mom's food on the way back home if you want." He offers, and I smile. "I'll take that as a yes?" He questions, and I nod.

        He puts the truck in reverse, and we pull out of my driveway. As we drive, he asks for directions to the restaurant, and I give them as best as I can, all the while silently praying I'm leading us to the right place. "Do you know what you want?" I ask, and he nods. "I can call it in if you want." I offer, and he shakes his head no.

        "I'll go in and order it for us. While I do, you can think of your top five favorite places." I nod, and we fall silent again. When we pull into a parking spot, Holland looks at me, "What will it be, Oakley bug?"

        "Cheese enchiladas and can you order some queso please? Chips and salsa already come with it." I inform, and he nods. He gets out, ignoring my outstretched hand that holds my debit card. Well fine then. While Holland is ordering our food, I think of my favorite places that I want to share with him right now.

        There are many places that hold a special place in my heart. It's hard to pick just five for now. After a few minutes of debating which ones are special enough to show him now without causing my heart to break, I am satisfied with my decisions, so I jot them down on a napkin to remember which ones I decided on.

        Another few minutes pass, and Holland is walking out with two bags of food. He opens the back door, puts the food in, and buckles it. I would laugh, but I have done the same thing a stupid amount of times. When he gets in his seat, he asks me to lead him to the park, so I do.

        When we get to the park, we get out, and grab the food. Holland puts down the tailgate of his truck, and insists that we sit there. "Hang on. I have a blanket we can cover up with. I didn't realize it'd be this chilly yet," he tells me, and I nod. It was decent when we left, a little breeze, but not super chilly. When he comes back, he has a big throw blanket. He tells me to get comfortable first, so I do. After I am set, he follows, and throws the blanket over our laps. "There. Now we won't freeze to death." I laugh, and he starts handing me my food.

        After we both have our food, Holland plays music lowly, and we both start eating. As I swallow my bite, I silently appreciate the sunset. Growing up, we'd always have a picnic and watch the sunset on sundays. It was how we'd prepare for the week that's coming up. After dinner, Rebel and I would run around and play on the playset. Nana and mom would gossip about people mom worked with, and after a few hours they'd come play with us. I forgot how much I'd miss doing that. We only stopped because Rebel and thought it was embarrassing.