15: Holland

The week came and went in the blink of an eye. We all did things to help Misty out, and the guys and I were even able to practice hockey a little bit. Thursday we had Oaklynn's Nana's funeral, and it was beautiful. The way the town talked about her made all of us cry, and the stories that were shared made us laugh.

        Now, we are getting back in our routine of school, hockey, and sleep. This past week has completely messed up our sleep schedules. We'd stay up late playing card games- which I am proud to admit that my girlfriend and her family are very very competitive- we had a little bonfire in the backyard, and even watched horror movies.

        "Maddox! Get your head on the right way, we have a game to play in less than a week!" Coach Hogg yells. I shake my head to rid my thoughts, and start focusing on the little game my team has set up.

        We start with a face off, and Dustin's team wins it. We skate down one end of the ice, and Dean gets it in our possession, so we change direction. He passes it to me, and I line up to take the shot. I miss. I miss a straight shot, almost right against the net. I wasn't covered, no one was right on me, and I missed.

        "Maddox, get over here." Coach says, and I skate to him. I undo my helmet, and he gives me a look of concern, "What's going on today? You did decent these past few days, what's going on?" He asks, and I shrug.

        Nothing is wrong. In fact, everything is right, so right. I'm just worried that it'll all come crashing down soon. "Nothing Coach, just in my head." I confess, and he nods. "I'll do better, I promise." And I do, because hockey is one of the most important things to me. I might not plan to go to the NHL, but hockey has been there when I've needed it to be.

        "Is it about that girl? Oaklynn?" He asks, and I nod. "Let me guess, you think it's too good to last, so you are waiting for it to fail because that's what you are used to?" He hits the nail on the head. When I don't answer, he takes my silence as a yes. "Tell her how you feel. Clearly you love her, I don't know anyone who would put their hockey and school on hold for a week, not when they've never done that before," he pauses, "tell her how you are feeling. How you are worried it'll fail, how much you love her, and whatever else you need to tell her. I know you're young and dumb, but communication is key to making it work." He nods to himself, and I mock him.

        Just tell her how you feel. That's easy enough right? "I will, Coach." I say, and he nods. "Am I good to go?" I ask, and he looks at the team who's now running drills.

        "Nah, we're calling it for the day." He tells me, then turns to the ice. "Wrap up! See you all tomorrow!" He yells, and they skate off the ice. "I'll see you tomorrow, and you'll be in a better mindset?" He questions, and I nod.

        Do better. I need to do better. My head needs to be in the game, and my heart needs to take a break in the locker room during my games. People need my attention on the ice, and the girl who has my heart needs me off the ice. I need to get that in my head, right now.

        I know Oaklynn and hockey are important to me, but I need to have them split. When I'm on the ice, hockey will be on my mind. When I'm off the ice, Oaklynn will be on my mind.

        When I get into the locker room, most of the team is already in there. Dustin, Wren and Bryce are looking at me with a weird look, that I brush off. Unfortunately, they don't. "What'd Coach want to talk to you about?" Wren and Bryce ask at the same time.

        "Just that I need to get my head in the game, and that I need to talk to Oaklynn about what I'm feeling. He thinks it'll help my head be in the game." I say, and they nod. I know what I need to tell her, something that I've been feeling like I need to tell her since Misty asked if I loved her, but I feel like it's too soon.