22: Oaklynn

Class is unfortunately back in session.

After we got back from our little vacation, which was about twenty minutes from our house, we barely have had time to breathe. The guys are at hockey more times than not, Ivy's been doing a type of internship at the little clinic, Levi has taken up tutoring for some reason, and I am buried in homework, research, and stress. None of us have hungout, unless you count the guys hockey practices as hanging out.

Even though I've been swarmed in work, I finally decided it was time to get one thing checked off the to-do list sooner rather than later. Which is why I am sitting at some run down cafe waiting for my sperm donor to arrive. After having long talks with Mom, Dustin, and Nancy, we all agreed that it would be better to get it off the way, and shrug him off now instead of dragging it out. Dustin even fought me to join, but I stuck with the firm answer of no. I feel like meeting him is a way of telling him to fuck himself for what he did to Mom and Nancy, not to mention his actual kids. They spent hours warning me that if Josh wants something, he'll push to get it, and that he sucks at time management, so I shouldn't count on him showing up on time.

So, I've been sitting at the damn cafe he picked out for about thirty minutes past our agreement. Which means when he gets here, he only gets five minutes. And the two cherries on the top of this fucked up cake, Mom and Nancy will be on the phone the whole time, and Dustin is picking me up afterwards.

Another fifteen minutes pass, and as I get ready to leave the bell above the door dings, and in walks a man who looks a lot like Dustin. The familiar, yet unfamiliar face scans the small room, which I swear gets smaller by the second. And when they land on me, his face grows a smile. It sends chills down my back, and uneasy sets in the pit of my stomach.

When he gets to the table I've occupied, he stares at me as if I am a random creature, "Hello Oaklynn, it's good to finally meet you. Dustin's told me a lot about you." He says, and I roll my eyes.

"I highly doubt that. He doesn't talk about you or to you." I say cooly, and Josh eyes me suspiciously. "Can we get this over with? I have places I need to be, and you wasted forty five minutes of my day already." I fold my hands together on the table. Am I being a bitch? Yes. Does he deserve it? Also yes.

He takes a seat across from me, and I make sure the call to Mom and Nancy is still active. After a few seconds, Josh clears his throat, "How was your childhood, how was school, how is school?" He questions. It takes everything in me to keep my eyes from rolling, and to keep from screaming at him for what he's done.

Not feeling like answering right away, I take a few seconds to pick my cuticles. "Childhood was fucking amazing if you like watching your parent struggle everyday. School was school, top of my class from the time I was in sixth grade, thanks to my mom helping me. School is good thanks to my friends and family." I pause, and he opens his mouth to speak, but I cut him off. "I have a boyfriend, we've been dating for three months now? I don't know for sure, it feels like it's been longer. My friends are great, and we all have a lot of fun together. For Christmas, I got a new phone, and I gave my car to my brother, my younger brother, not my older one." I snip, and he sighs.

"Oaklynn," he says calmly, "I'm sorry I wasn't there, and I'm sorry you're just now finding out that you have two other siblings, but I had to think about my family." My eyebrows shoot up at that comment, and I don't bother hiding my surprise, or the bitchy comment that was about to slip out. "I know. I've heard it already, 'you didn't care when you fucked Misty,'" he adds quotation marks, "i'm the bad guy. I get it. My kids won't talk to me, my wife is leaving me, and I found out before all this that my kidney is failing." He gives me a hopeful look.