(1) Lessons

"I don't think anyone truly knows what love is", Jasmine taps the end of her pencil onto the empty sheet of paper. Her trailing over at me as I stare at the question in deep thought.

I twist my lips at her, "I feel like love is based on your own perception. I think we all have common views but its never the same"

     "Zania what is love to you?", my professor calls on me eavesdropping on our conversation. I feel everyone's eyes landing on me, waiting for my opinion.

    "I think that love is unconditional, an emotion that is endless no matter the circumstances", I express and my professor nods . She seems surprised but also impressed. A lot of people give bogus answers like its like having a best friend or loyalty. No one could ever describe but then again love is indescribable, at least real love anyway. "The one thing that stuck out to me is endless, class how do you feel? Thank you for your definition, Zania. Your take is beautiful", my professor compliments and I simply smile at her as I wait for someone brave enough to rebuttal.

       Of course non other than Cameron raises his hands. He looks at me with a smirk and I roll my eyes. "I don't think love is endless, people fall out of love all the time. Loving someone is a choice. You can choose to love someone and you can choose to take that love away",

     Every furrow their eyebrows in surprise but I wasn't. Sometimes I wondered if he tried his hardest to be different or if he really thought like that. "How do you choose to love someone", I blurt out what everyone is thinking. The professor was even caught off guard.

    "I feel like its simple, love is devoting your time and effort into someone. If you feel like a person is worthy of that, you choose to show them that intimate side of you. Becoming vulnerable with someone is voluntary, its not something you do out of force".

Did he have a point?

     "I get that but its also a feeling. Its not just strictly off logic. I mean if that's the case did you ever truly love them anyway or were you just telling yourself that? I don't know how I would feel if my man straight up told me, i'm choosing to love you. Like okay...", I trail off earning a few chuckles around me but i'm serious. I wouldn't take that as flattering but everyone is different.

   I feel like love is a gamble in itself. Allowing yourself to be vulnerable can be a blessing and a curse. On one end you experience happiness, the feeling of what loving someone can be. On the other end that could lead to a heartbreak but I feel like everyone has one at some point. That can come from family, friend, it goes beyond romance. "You can sit here and tell me you choose to love your mother?"

    "Yes", he says without hesitation.

  "Well it seems like we're a little pass the time guys, we'll have to pick this back up on Monday. Have a great rest of the day", the professor ends the session as everyone sits in shock. Jasmine and I exchange looks knowing we'll be having a field day discussing this on the walk to our dorm. "I just will never understand is logic like am I tripping?", I gear the question to Jasmine and she shakes her head.

     "Its like he makes good points but he just seems so emotionless. Its like I get what he saying but at the same time that's wild", she proceeds to say and I nod. "I don't know, I think he must've got his heartbroken in the past"

   "Nah I think he does the heartbreaking. That mindset would have anyone lost"

      We laugh continuing our Journey across campus. The sun shining brightly causing me to fan myself on the way. We came across some of our peers, waving to them through passing. Apart of me secretly hoping they wouldn't try to stop for conversation. I notice in college that's a trend, something that hated at times especially in the sun. Its too hot to carry pointless conversation. "We are still going to that party right?", Jasmine points a finger at me and I throw my head back. The Ques are throwing a kickback later and I knew that it would be crowded. I promised myself and her that I'll try to be more social but i'm already regretting it.