(2) The List

Amaya Anderson

Two weeks later...
Thursday
3:45 pm

    "Good work as usual", my professor nods in approval and slides the paper test on my table. It wasn't folded like some of the others which gave me the relied that I did well. "Thank you", I smile and take a picture of the grade to send to the groupchat. It was a random thing we did when one of us accomplishes something.

"Do you do anything else besides work?", I hear a smart remark from Luca. The pain in my side like no other. "Do you do anything besides bother me", I retort watching the infamous smirk on his face.

     "That's the highlight of my day", he smiles and I wave him off. "But on some real shit! It hurts my feelings that I've invited you to my parties several times and you never come", Luca would have a party a couple of times throughout the year. They would be big because everyone would talk to them. This school is made of hundreds of people and that's too crowded for me.

I lean back in my seat and reach for my tote bag. "Y'all have a good weekend. Please look over your test and think about what you may need for clarity on. I may be nice enough to do a retest", the professor claims. I didn't think much about it since I have a big ninety-nine percent on my paper.

Luca clears his throat in effort to catch my attention again. "I have a party tonight, you coming?"

"Mhmm, you got a flyer or some?"

He looks at me with a straight face, "You don't follow me on Instagram?"

I snort, "No"

He follows behind me, grabbing for my arm to get my attention. His hand was warm which was convenient considering the immediate cold that hit me the second I walked out the building.

I look at him with a bored expression, not missing the smile on his face. "Is it a turn on that I don't like you", I tilt my head and he walks closer to me. I take a step back and look around. I didn't anyone getting the wrong impression from this interaction.

"I think it's an act", he shrugs his shoulders, that smile never falters.

"An act", I snatch my hand away and he pouts.

"Amaya, I think we can be good friends. Let me show you a good time and bring some friends.", he pleads with me.

"You are not trynna be my friend", I give him a straight face. It didn't take rocket science to know that he wanted more from me and that wasn't a relationship. I didn't want to get caught up as just another body but I can't deny that he is fine. He was just my type, brown skin with a low fade. Aside from him bothering me in class, he was actually smart. The only con, he was too much of a social lite for me. "I can be whatever you need me to be", he serenades me in a sing-song tone. "Let me see your phone"

   He taps his phone against mine, his contact information popping on my screen and vice versa. I made a mental note to turn that feature off later. He sends a picture of the flyer with the address and everything else stated. "One of my homies, Carter gone be at the door. Tell him your name and it's free entry"

    "Anyone I come with too?", I raise an eyebrow.

"Of course", he walks backwards to still keep an eye on me, almost tripping from sliding on a leaf. He rushes to get himself back together, turning away with a quickness from embarrassment.