(3) Sweets

D A I J A

Three weeks later...
1:00 pm

       I put my face deeper in the pillow, feeling someone take the covers from over my head. "It's too early for this shit", I mumble, getting irritated that the cool air is touching my skin. "Early? Nigga you missed half the day", Mari shakes me and I laugh not realizing how late it was.

    "Mom made you breakfast", he says and I spring up. I smile seeing a tray in his hand with all my favorites. My smiles widens, seeing my mother peeking her head through the door frame. "Aw thank you", I coo, sitting the tray in my lap. My mother made red velvet waffles with chicken tenders. On the side is a bowl of fruit, cut up strawberries, pineapples, and mango.

    There's a little condiment cup with syrup in it.

    "Your welcome, my baby is twenty-one", my mom comes further inside to give me a hug and Mari sits at the edge of the bed. "You feel different?"

    I shrug, "Not really". I laugh to myself. It's hard to believe that I'm considered an adult. I still watch PJ Masks while getting ready for class in the morning.

    She rubs my back, "babe you're still young"

   I nod, laying my hand on her shoulder as I take a bite of my waffle. "Imma send you money to get your nails and lashes done today", my brother announces, typing something on his phone. I clasps my hands together, going on my phone to see if my usual nail tech has any availability today. "I can take the car?", I ask.

   Mari recently brought a new Porsche. He rarely drives it himself unless it's a special occasion like. "Yes but don't wreck my shi-stuff", he corrects himself, remembering that our mom is right there. I smile to myself as I finish booking my appointment for three-thirty. "You got any plans later?", mom asks and I shrug my shoulders.

     I haven't taken the time to plan anything. I usually just spend my birthdays pampering myself. I gave up on planning parties due to the amount of stress it causes. Eventually you end up caring more about how people perceive it rather than what you want. "I'll probably hit a lounge with Mya or something later", I respond. I obviously needed to end the day off drunk.

     "Don't worry, I got plans for ya" Mari stands up and walk out the room. Mom and I look at each other,  going back to watching the random show I had playing on tv.

       I check my phone, seeing that my stylist got back to me along with a number of birthday wishes.

Darius❤️🙄: Happy birthday, love. Enjoy your day.

Darius❤️🙄: imma see you later

  Darius sent you $400

     I tried to refrain from blushing, being considerate that my mom is right next to me. My heart swells in bliss at the fact that I'll be seeing him today. We haven't seen much of each other since I spent the night at his house. I've been busy with work and he's had his own thing going on.

    He thinks I don't know that's he's been back in the streets but his name has been brought up a couple of times. It doesn't help that he's a plug for a couple of my friends in the neighborhood.

Thank you❤️

"Thanks again for breakfast mommy", I coo, hugging her one more time before standing up. "Your welcome, go ahead and get ready", she pats my shoulder and takes the tray.

___________________________________________

                                 M E E C H