(3) The List

Amaya Anderson

Monday
3:00 pm

    I tap my pen against the notebook page that barely has any words on it. I was beyond out of it and that's partly because Ariana kept me up all night watching movies. Usually I wouldn't mind because I'm able to take a nap in between classes but I didn't have that chance. I had a bunch of stuff to catch up on so a nap didn't fit into the occasion.

    The professor finishes her part of the lecture, "So you guys have a good assignment. I want you to read the rest of the book but you will write an analysis for each chapter and compare it with your partner. I think it's important to see the different perspectives. Next month we'll discuss what you guys learned for each other, I'll give more information on Canvas", she claps her hands together and sits down. "Please spend  the rest of the class period picking your partner and starting your reflection on today's chapter"

   Ugh. I sigh and look around the class room at my options. I'm associates with most of the people in here but I don't care with work with any of them. Next to me, I hear someone clear their throat. I look over and roll my eyes seeing Luca with a smirk on his face. "Hey partner!", he exclaims and move to sit next to me.

"I didn't agree to this", I prop head up on my hand.

"I mean i'm your only option, I don't see you asking anyone else", he shrugs. "So what days would work for you?"

Obviously, there wasn't a chance of getting out of this so I just accepted my fate. "Mondays and Wednesdays", I tell him. I know it would be a couple of times where we would have to meet up outside of class. "I can do that", he says not even bothering to counter what I said.

He looks at me and chuckles. "You good?"

"I'm sleepy", I whine.

"You still tired from all that partying you did on Thursday? Damn you are old"

I reach out to push his shoulder, "You just had to find a way to slip that in huh?"

    "Because you shocked the shit out of me. That's a side that I can get used to"

   I shake my head. "You threw a good party though"

   "I'm just glad you graced me with your presence", he pretends to bow and I laugh at him. Our laughter dies down and we stare at each other for a minute. I notice that his eyes are a hazel brown shade. "You're welcome", I break the eye-contact and he blinks to recollect himself. I hope no one else saw that.

   We finished our part of the assignment and left before class ends. We exited out the building together, bring brought back into the cold. I had on a jacket but it still wasn't thick enough to protect me from the harsh wind. "You hungry?", he peers down at me. I never noticed how tall he was until now. I wasn't typically considered short but next to him you would think so. "Why?", I tilt my head to the side watching as a smirk appears on my face.

  "Let me treat you to lunch"

  "Nigga it'll be four soon. Lunch is over"

  "Well it's too early to be dinner", he retorts and that was indeed true.

    "Fine", I thought about turning it down but who turns down a free meal? I was trying to get out the habit of overthinking myself out of a good time. "What are we getting?"

  "Pick whatever you want", he says casually as he walks me to the parking lot. I struggle. I hate how indecisive I am when it comes to food. I always crave like fifty different things. "Can we go to that Mexican restaurant down the street", I asked since I can pick anywhere. I've never been there but the food always looks good.