(1) Exes

Kendra

Friday
6:00 pm

         I sit behind the wheel, looking over at Rena with a sigh. She smiles at me, "Can you please perk up, this is Mani birthday".

  "I know, I know", I reach in the backseat and grab his gift. Mani is one of our long time homeboys, he's like a brother. For his birthday, he wanted to get an air bnb for the weekend and do a bunch of stuff downtown. It sounded great at first until I remembered a certain someone would be there. That ruined the whole mood for me. Despite that though, I was gonna show up for my friend regardless. "How many people coming again?", I ask her as we get our suitcases out the trunk.

   Rena thinks to herself, furrowing her eyebrows. "I'm thinking eight total", I groan.

    We walk on the porch, putting in the code since Mani sent it to me. I open the door, revealing some familiar faces and some I've never seen before. "Happy birthday, my nigga", I open my arms, running towards him for a hug. He chuckles, catching me with a wide grin on his face. I squeeze him for a few minutes before we pull away, I hold the gift bag out for him to take.

  "Ken, you know you didn't have to", his eyes softens as he takes the bag. "I know you didn't", he looks at the nike shoe box inside, his eyes widen.

    "Open it later but you know imma always do it big for ya", I pat his shoulder and move so he can greet Rena. I take the opportunity to greet everyone else, my eyes falling upon Vontae. He stares a whole in the side of my face as I turn away, not bothering to speak to him. There's not much to say to him.

   Actually there's a lot to say but we're not here for all that.

   I look in the kitchen, hoping to see some bottles somewhere. If not, I'll have to make a stop at the store later on.

     I gather my suitcase and head upstairs, looking for an empty room. I requested to have my own room for the simple fact that I like my privacy. I come across one at the end of the hallway, secluded from everyone else.

 I come across one at the end of the hallway, secluded from everyone else

     "This shit is nice", I run and plop down on the bed, moaning. Shit is comfortable. I lay in the position, making fake snow angels as I look at the ceiling.

   "This what we doing all weekend?", I roll my eyes at the voice. I sit up, my room dampening once again. "Doing what, Vontae?"

    Vontae stands in the frame of the door with his arms crossed. I found myself lingering on him longer than I should have. He has a fresh re-twist and line up, framing his oval shape face nicely. He smiles nicely showing off his grills that light up any room that he walks in. That face of his, still handsome as ever.

  Too bad he's a pain in my ass.

   "I'm not doing this petty shit with you all weekend. We can be cordial at least like when you walked in, you could've said hey to me. That's petty as fuck to look me dead in my face and not say shit"