(7) The List

Amaya Anderson

Friday
10:00 am

"I'm finna go to the bathroom", I informed my classmate so she could keep up with the notes for me while I'm gone. This is my only class for today and then I'm finished.

She nods and I walk through the back of the class to refrain from interrupting the professor. I make it out, walking down the hall. I hear whispering voices, making me roll my eyes. I hated when people would have conversations by the bathroom, it's so awkward walking past them. "Why I ain't been hearing from you?", I hear a girl say. I stop right before turning the corner, it would be so weird to just walk by. She seemed upset, whoever she is. "I fucked you and it's over with", my heart drops, recognizing that voice.

The same voice that I grown accustomed to looking forward to hearing, Lucas. "But then I turn around he hear that you fucked on my friend too? Like that's what we doing now?", I cringed as she continues to talk. Apart of me wanted to peek and see who it was talking but I refrained.

"That was like three weeks ago after that party. I was drunk and she was there. I didn't even know y'all were cool. Kianna bruh, what do you want for real?"

Kianna, one of the well known people on campus. Not surprised that they messed around, they run in the same circles. This just reminds me of why I can't get too involved with him. It'll always be something. The fact that my stomach is in knots about a situation that happened before me is just making it worse. "I wanna spin the block again. Last week got me missing you?"

My stomach churned, Last week?

"Excuse me", I walk in between them to get to the restroom. I felt Lucas staring a whole in the side of my face while Kianna still pleads her case. I use the bathroom quick and go to wash my hands. As I lather my hands with soap, I look in the mirror seeing those emotions start to rise. Nope, I shake my head, not even giving them that satisfaction. It's no use in crying over someone who's not yours. I wipe my hands on a paper towel and come out to see them nowhere to be found.

On the way back to the class room, my phone chimes and it's a text message.

Lucas: Amaya you good?

I don't respond. I turn on my read receipts and turn off my phone before walking back into class. I clear my mind about him, plastering on a smile to continue my notes. No nigga will ever have me slipping on my academics, it's never that deep.

I push through the remainder of the lecture. I found myself staring at the clock, hoping it'll be time to go any minute. The professor reaches the last slide in her lecture and lets us go. I walk out the building, seeing other students being let out from their classes. I adjust my book bag, feeling someone clear their throat. I look up seeing, Lucas with a worried expression on his face. He's probably wondering how much of that I heard. "Amaya", he calls out and I continue walking as he follows closely behind me.

"Mhm?" , I hum.

"I can't a get a hug or nothing?"

I shake my head, "Nah"

"Why are you even out here? You're class been over"

He sighs, grabbing my hand in attempt to keep me still. "I was waiting for you. I haven't seen you in the past two days. I miss you"