(1) Road Trip

A M I N A

Tuesday Morning

8:00 am

     I hold the card in my hand with a proud smile on my face. "We leave in a few minutes", I turn around to see my sister stare at me with a shocked expression. She runs over to me, snatching our father's card out my hands. Her hand shakes violently, it's obvious that her nerves are getting the best of her.

     I used his card to book us a room at the most expensive hotel for two nights in Miami. The trip wouldn't be that long since we're already in Florida for our dad's business convention. He was known for having stock in some major companies. One of his next business ventures is investing to build more hotels in high tourists cities.

    I wouldn't say he was filthy rich but a couple of hundreds wouldn't hurt his bank account. "Are you serious? If he finds out... we're dead! You sure you want to do this?"

   "We haven't seen him since we've touched down, so yes",

    Aaliyah carries a scowl on her face. That doesn't stop her from packing her bags. We exit our hotel room and take the elevator down. I took my personal car on this trip so I wouldn't have to rely on our driver to get us around. He was a nice man but I don't need a chauffeur to go everywhere. "Do you even know what we're gonna do? What is down there that's not here?", she hits me with a bunch of questions.

   Both of us load up the trunk as I ignore her concern. I sit in the passenger seat, I knew I would have to make this three hour drive. "Listen if you don't want to go you're welcome to stay."

    I just want a weekend to do something insane. It may be quite impulsive but who cares? "Just start driving", Aaliyah waves me off and shakes her head. She hooks her phone up to the Bluetooth and plays some music,

    I drive out the parking lot. I saw families walking by. They stare in amazement at the Christmas lights hanging up on every corner. As I pass down the street, there was a Christmas festival for kids to meet Santa. They all seem so happy as their parents take pictures to capture a dear memory forever. Meanwhile, I don't have a clue where my father is. I can't remember the last time we had a real conversation outside him just dragging my sister and I everywhere. We literally don't spend much time together but from the photos in the magazines you'll think otherwise.

    "You hungry?", I asked. It's still early and we've done got a lot on an empty stomach.

   She nods, rubbing her stomach. "I could eat. Is there some type of brunch place around here?"

    "Girl brunch? Bitch we're going through a drive thru", I laugh in her face as I see a plaza of fast food options. "What about Wendy's? They have some good breakfast or Chic-fil-a"

   Aaliyah scrunches up her face, "I can't remember the last time I've sat in a drive thru. You really eat that stuff?"

    We live different lives. We didn't always have money. It was a point where we were just normal people, who sat in those same drive thru lines like everyone else. It was times where we couldn't even afford fast food of all things. It pains to see how superficial we became overnight, more so them than me. "Yes", luckily the line was somewhat short. I ignored the snarky remarks as I ordered us chicken biscuits and hash browns.