(2) Tension

Cole Kingly

Friday
6:25 pm

     "You going on a date", my mom pops her head into my room as I stand in the mirror buttoning down my shirt

  "You going on a date", my mom pops her head into my room as I stand in the mirror buttoning down my shirt. I stare at her through my reflection with a blank face. "I'm just meeting up with a friend, you remember Iclynn?", at the mention of the name my mom smiles.

   She comes in and sits on the bed, my little brother coming right in behind her. They almost remind me of ducks. "Hell yea I remember, she is bad", Canan licks his lips and my mom hits his leg. "I've always thought that y'all had some underlying attraction", mom continues to state her opinion that nobody asked for.

   I'll be lying if I said that I didn't find Iclynn attractive. I remember always have soft brown skin that glistened in the light. Her hair would always be worn in a ponytail, revealing more of her facial features. Her eyes naturally low, the way she looks at you would have you in a trance. She has a smile that lights up anyone's day. And a body, she definitely has a body. I can tell it's become more developed since we've graduated. That minor slip up on the phone told me everything, I needed to know.

     "We've always been strictly friends"

That mouth was lethal, one of the reasons I kept her around. She was never one to hesitate to put me in my place. Whether that meant cussing me out or knocking me upside the head.

  "Mhmm well have a good time", she walks out my room and Canan stays on my bed.

    "Tell her I said I got five more years until i'm legal", he says before happily jumping off my bed.

This is why I never come home for too long.

    I look in the mirror once more. I had on a black button up with a pair of black ripped jeans. I put on a custom gold chain, I purchased a few months ago with my initials, C. K.

    I had no idea about what shoes I would rare but I'm thinking something with black and gold.

  I finished getting dressed and sent a quick message to let Iclynn know that I'm on the way.

Twenty minutes later, I sat in the driveway. She cones outside with the same awkward smile that I was once use to seeing. Iclynn comes and open the passenger side, helping herself to the seat. She sits her big MK purse in the backseat. We stare at each other for a second, "Hey Davis", I call her by her last name earning a eye roll. Something she does frequently, "Hey Cole".

   "So you want to make a bet?", she beams and I raise an eyebrow at her. "Whoever wins at bowling has to pay for dinner"

"Uh uh cause you're a sore loser", I tell her and she frowns.