(1) Sweets

D A I J A

Friday Night
7:00 pm

I lean on the hood of the car, sucking on the watermelon flavored blow pop in my hand. My other hand running through my fresh box braids that stopped at my lower waist. "So what's the move", Mari leans against the driver's seat, the question directed at his home boy, Johnathan. "Mane I don't know, I'm hoping that there's some weed involved. A nigga lowkey losing it", Johnathan responds in a bored tone.

They both turn their heads towards me and I shrug. "Y'all want to pull up to mya kickback? Her brother getting out today", I put the idea out, watching Mari shake his head at the mention of her.

"You lost me when you mentioned her name", Mari and Mya messed around a couple of times. Long story short it crashed and burned because he couldn't play my friend for a fool. It surprised me how much their ending bothers him but I told him from jump that she isn't one to play with. I'm glad that she proved him right but I try to rub it in his face. "Nigga grow some hair on ya' chest. You fucked up so what? The only one still bothered by it is you", I roll my eyes and he flicks me off.

Johnathan tries not to laugh but that didn't stop Mari from noticing. "Fuck up. Didn't you just lose yo' bitch yesterday? Crying on my phone and shit"

I stifle a laugh as Johnathan's face drops. "Oh that was low. A nigga still recovering"

"Hopefully that'll teach y'all to be faithful", I emphasize, going to throw away the stick from the sucker. "Soo are we going or?", I trail off and Mari goes to start the car. I went to open the back door and Mari rolls down the window, "I should make you change out them shorts. It's barely seventy degrees and you rushing to show ya ass", he tries to lecture me but I get inside anyway ignoring him.

"One day, I hope it registers that you ain't my daddy", I retort, the attitude evident in my voice.

The two men in the front chuckle. "Yeah when i'm gone, even then it won't register", he responds and I lean back against the seat in annoyance.

     Twenty minutes later, Mari parks down the street from her house since it was a hassle to get close. People standing outside, grilling, playing dice , and indulging in conversation. I smile seeing the kids in the neighborhood shooting people with water guns, giggling as an older lady waves her cane at them in frustration.

    We walk inside the house, I rush over to Mya seeing her on the couch with some more of her family. "Hey bestie", I greet her and she pulls me on top of her to wrap her arms around me fully. "I missed you", she coos and kisses my forehead.

  "I missed you too", I kiss her cheek, hearing gagging noises from the people around us. "Are we hating cause it ain't you?", I point out in confusion and we look around.

   "They hate real love", Mya shakes her head. "You wanna see Meech? He cooped up in that room", she rolls her eyes and I stand up to follow her. Mari stands close by, almost as if he was waiting to be acknowledged but she keeps on walking. "Damn you can't speak?", Mari says and Johnathan tries to signal for him to shut up but that failed.

  "Nigga you walked into my shit, have some decency", Mya checked him and he goes quiet. Deciding not to start an argument outside her brother's room. Meech and Mari weren't the closest to begin with, they just happen to work under the same 'pharmacy'. They are cordial though considering that and Mya's and I friendship. However that slowly started to change once Mari went out his way to pursue Mya.

   Meech didn't agree with it. He wasn't supportive in the slightest, especially now that things between them are over. He was real curious to know why considering how hard Mya pushed for him to accept them. She held back on telling that, not wanting to cause any trouble between the two.