Chapter 6

"I'm done." I said to Miss Knowles while handing her the worksheet.

After taking the paper, she placed it inside a folder before proceeding to hand me a book. "When I take you home, I would like for you to dedicate at least 2 hours to reading this book and studying. The book covers information about college and the specific courses you will undertake, including suggestions on how to prepare yourself and the various tests and activities you will encounter."

The way her voice sounds and how properly she speaks is so professional. "Yes ma'am- I mean okay." I said.

She chuckled lowly. "I don't wanna overwhelm you with work for the first day so, do you wanna go get something to eat now? It's almost 1 o'clock."

"I guess I could eat a little now." I said.

She took hold of her bags and began walking towards the car, and I trailed behind her. Observing her graceful and endearing stride, I couldn't help but envision her confidently strutting along a fashion runway.

I got in the passenger side of the car and she put her bags in the backseat, Then she got in and cranked the car up.

"Is there a specific place you wanna eat at?" Miss Knowles asked.

"No." I mumbled.

Casting a quick glance in my direction, Miss Knowles shifted her gaze back to the road, ready to drive. Expressing her concern, she asked, "Are you alright? You seem like you have a lot on your mind."

"I'm fine." I lied.

"Megan, although I may just be a woman who is here to assist you in catching up with your studies, I will always be available to listen to you." She told me.

I avoided telling her about my father hitting me since it would involve sharing excessive details. "It's just a lot of family issues going on right now.."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"I-I um don't want to." I said.

After arriving at Dunkin' Donuts, Miss Knowles parked the car and exited, and I followed. We entered and went to place our orders. I requested water and two chocolate donuts, while she asked for an iced coffee and a crème-filled donut.

"Let's sit down." Miss Knowles said as she walked to a table for two.

I followed behind her and took a seat.

"So, do you have any siblings?" Miss Knowles asked.

I nodded my head and sipped my drink. "Yes, her name is Monie she's 16." I said to her and then asked "Do you?"

"Yes, I do. Solange, she's my younger sister." She said and then took a bite of her donut. "What do you like to do on your free time?"

"Um, well I already told you that I try on clothes for companies. I'm a wig influencer on TikTok and I like to get on Live and rap to random beats on YouTube sometimes as well." I told her.

"Oh, you can rap? Let me hear something." She said. She started to make a beat by hitting the table and making noises with her mouth.

"No.." I said before laughing.

"Two bars, come on."

"I'm nervous...." I mumbled.

"If you are capable of rapping live, then you are capable of doing it for me as well. I am just one individual, so there is no need to feel 'nervous'," she uttered and then added, "If I sing a little bit of a song I like, would you be willing to rap for me in return?"