Big Dumb Arms Cont'd (j.o)

"Get the fuck outta here...?"

"Yeah, get the fuck out."

Your words cut Jenna deep as weight came off your shoulders.

But while there was relief there was something knocking on your soul's door about how you probably just ruined your relationship, permanently. Internally, you were in conflict.

Your hands were sternly on your hips yet your fingers anxiously tapped the waistband of your shorts. Your eyes were red and daring to water, so then you exhaled. The exhalation forced your finger tapping to stop and not an ounce of emotion to show up in your eyes or face. Suddenly, your mind and body agreed that what she'd done was worth the irreversible damage.

Jenna's mind was scrambled. Her body would reflect her conflict with your grievance... was she to understand or be offended? Respond? Or remain silent? Jenna's eyebrows were undecided; holding hands then distancing. Her eyes were corroded with water that she couldn't blink it away no matter how much her body tried. The blinking was relentless at times, signaling irritation as her nostrils flared violently. Her lips were tight with an occasional trembling.

"I—I," Jenna croaked, "I hate you."

She ran out of the room.

You licked your teeth at her words, choosing to believe them. Not because of your verbal assault but because of her own behavior. You had no reason to think Jenna felt any differently after this fiasco. The fiasco, in your mind, being replacing you as man of the house and backbone of the relationship. Since that's what you decided was the problem.

You heard a room door slam, and stomped across the room, slamming your door as well. You immediately snatched your phone from the dresser. You dialed your father, briefly explaining the situation. Though it was night, he told you to come to him, so the tension of the house could clear out. You listened.

In a quick fury, you threw on a hoodie, snatched the car keys, and sprinted out the door. The second you arrived at his house, he poured you a drink and the two of you unspun the web of your mind. Your father followed you more closely this time, validating your feelings having better understanding. He did not approve of the treatment of Jenna though, as he was still firm in his early notion of the issue.

He scoffed, "This 'emasculation' is self-inflicted though. Jenna hasn't done anything to hurt you."

You shut your eyes. "You're still not hearing me, Pops." You slouched on the couch, rotating the empty glass in your fingers.

"I am, but you're not hearing me." He drank.

You exhaled in frustration as your father went on, "I told you to bury your resentment. To stop being angry at her not needing you in the ways you expect, or that she has, and let her love you before she withdraws."

"So just embrace feeling unneeded? Useless? Unappreciated?" You shook your head, setting the glass on the coffee table. "Yeah, no thanks."

"Y/N, you're not any of those things to her. You need to realize that. You need to realize that everything she is today, is a product of you."

"Can't be." You folded your arms over your chest, speaking defensively, "I haven't made her feel like shit."

"Maybe not in common practice, but for the past few weeks and especially tonight, you did." He stated, glaring at you with lifted brows. The glass resting on his lips before he drank. You didn't meet his gaze, instead feeling his disgust internally.