Twin Flames (p.a)

"I...I...," Phoebe stuttered on the small stage. It was the biggest day of her life; her wedding day. She held Cole's hands as she looked into the sea of wedding attendees. She gulped, for the first time ever, she was nervous and unsure.

Especially upon meeting the gaze of someone sitting in the nave. They were on the bench closest to the chapel door with their close friend. The person's eyes held a lot hurt, but also, acceptance.

Acceptance; an action Phoebe believed she processed long ago when things ended with that person.

When she chose to remain friends. When she introduced them to her fiancé. When she invited them to her wedding.

But yet, acceptance felt unresolved.

Was Phoebe coddling this person in hopes things would change between them? Was introducing them to her fiancé a ploy for reaction? Was inviting them to the wedding a chance that they'd object? Choose her, as she's chose them?

"Uh, Phoebe —"

She snapped her head towards the priest.

"We must move on. Finalize your vows. Time is running," the righteous spoke no louder than a whisper.

She nodded before taking another look at the person she'd spent her life holding onto. Was it time to let go?

She looked at Cole, the man eagerly waiting for two those precious words.

"I d-," Phoebe hesitated, almost immediately her eyes watered. She shook where she stood. Palms sweating profusely. Is this what she wanted?

To be with Cole, or to be with — you?

"You don't have to be nervous." Cole gave her a reassuring smile. He thumbed circles onto the backs of her hands.

Suddenly, someone pushed through the chapel doors, earning Phoebe's attention. Her breathing became erratic the second she realized you were missing: you left.

Something in her broke immediately..., but it also made the decision clear.

You were a runner.

And what's a runner without a chaser?

Lost.

You would be found.

"I- I'm sorry." Phoebe slipped her hands from his.

Gasps and whispers from the attendees.

Panicked, Cole reached for her hands but she stepped back, raising them as if she'd become infected.

Cole's brows knitted as the pain coursing his body showed up on his face, in his eyes. Brokenly he asked, "Wh-what are you doing?"

"I can't...," she whimpered as she looked to the priest, "I don't."

The crowd became stunned and everybody began to intone. With renewed confidence and sureness, Phoebe raised the sides of her gown and kicked her heels off.

"Phoebe!" Cole tried to stop her but she'd already fled down the aisle.

"Go after her!" someone from the audience yelled. Cole, his and Phoebe's family and the entire congregation poured into the wedding aisle, chasing the bride.

Phoebe burst through the chapel doors, halting at the top of the stairs. Frantic, she looked left to right for a sign of you. There was no indication until the cranking of two motorcycles echoed through the chapel's parking lot.

She raced to the bottom of the stairs, trying to see where the noise was coming from. Phoebe didn't have to wait long to find out as your friend, and an unsuspecting you, drove right past her.