Anesthesia (t.c)

The room was mostly quiet; only the beeps of the patient monitor and the controlled breathing from the body under.

On both sides of the inpatient, stood two tall figures. One dressed casually, the other in scrubs. The former of the two, a female, wearing a face of worry.

She broke the silence, "Her girlfriend and I are really worried about her. How come she's still sleep, Doc?"

"She's still under. Smaller people normally require less gas, however, I asked my nurses to dispense a higher concentration to expedite Tara's knockout for surgery. We were losing precious time."

"I guess my little sister's tougher than she looks." The woman chuckled proudly, leading some strands out of the girl's face.

"Certainly. Well, Sam, I'll be back in a bit to see if she's awake for assessment." The doctor spoke before strolling to the room door, "Also, breakfast will be coming around. If you're hungry, you're welcome to a tray."

"Okay and thank you, Dr. Y/l/n... for everything. You've been great." Sam's chest swelled of gratitude.

"Pleasure's all mine." You wrapped kindly before you left. You shut the door for privacy.

For ten minutes, Sam remained surveying Tara, waiting for some sign of liveliness. It never came. Tired and slightly impatient, Sam slouched in a nearby chair. She kept her watchful eye on her sister until she physically couldn't. Sam dozed off...

* * *

"Knock, knock," a sweet southern voice alongside squeaking wheels and rattling plastic echoed into the room. Startled from her sleep, Sam's eyes shot open, immediately locating the source of noise; a nurse with a food cart. Sam continued to quietly stare until her brain was back online.

The nurse met Sam's irritated gaze. "Couldn'ta been the sweetest of dreams, huh, suga?"

Instinctively Sam giggled, but her laughter quickly morphed into a yawn and a big stretch. "Good morning."

"Guh'mornin'." The nurse focused on the cart as Sam did her sister, she continued, "A'ight now, you got two options. Option one; eggs, potatoes, and bacon with toast. Option two; grits, eggs, sausage patty and biscuit. For drink, I've got watuh and cranburry juice. Whatcha havin'?"

"Option two and water." Sam answered.

"Comin' up, buttercup," the nurse began loading the tray with eating essentials. "Also. Do ya think ya sista'll be up anytime soon? She's gone wake up hungry and lunch won't be til 'bout 'leven." The nurse handed the food to her, exchanging non verbal encouragement to eat.

Sam placed the tray in her lap. "I don't think so. She's out."

"A'ight, in the meantime, enjoy ya breakfast. I'll come back for ya tray later."

"Thank you." Sam opened the plastic protecting her utensils. The nurse organized the cart before pushing the squeaky thing outside. Between the ruffling plastic and whiny cart and the door shutting, the room became noisy enough to garner soft groaning.

Sam's attention went to her sister. "Tara?"

The girl in question stirred, not conscious enough to reply. Sam leapt up, settling her tray in the chair beside her. She rushed to the room door, swinging it open. Side to side, Sam turned her head looking for the nurse, but even better, she spotted you chatting with another doctor.