Chapter 28

Citra watched her daughter pack with animosity, she had made her opinion of this trip known to her daughter. She was in no position to travel right now—not with her current delicate state of mind. But Riley is a grown woman now, she couldn't stop her from taking her own decisions.

"Can you stop giving me the bad eye mom?" Riley said—her mother was almost burning holes through her head as she packed.

"I don't think you should go."

"Yes, you have made that clear." Riley muttered.

"Riley look at me." Citra instructed to her daughter, making her stop packing and turn to her with a sigh. "How fair do you think this is for you? Have you sat and thought about it for a second? Not only are you going to another continent for a birthday party, but your ex's girlfriend one at that. I loved Paris she was my daughter in law for years, but this? This is unfair of her to you, you still love her. What are you doing going to the place she ran off to restart her life without you? To suffer more?"

"You said it mama, I still love her. I want to be there for her as her friend and I want her in my life." Was the only respond that Riley could muster up for her mother.

"And what about your addiction? You are going to a party full of people that will be drinking and offering you to, will you be able to reject them?" Citra crossed her arms and studied her daughter—she knows that her daughter was trying to come up with a lie.

"I won't drink. I know that."

"Do you think you can successfully lie to your mother, Riley?" Citra was not trying to harm her daughter, she simply was trying to get her to see the bigger picture. That it was not just about her going on this trip, there was her recovery at risk as well. Something that mattered most and she was willing to harm.

"Well mom one relapse more, one trip to AA more. Who knows maybe you'll get your wish and I'll end up in rehab... maybe if we are all lucky I'll end up dead."

Citra's breath hitched at her daughter's words... and only then did Riley realize the weight of the words she had uttered. "Mom—"

Her mother walked out of the room wordlessly—she was too shaken up now to continue talking to her daughter, she had to get herself together otherwise she would break. Because if she wasn't strong for the both of them then how could she help her daughter?

It was too late when Riley had realized the severity of what she had just said, she was kidding... but telling that to her mother was just terrible. She fucked up, but what else was new?

Once she had finishing packing her small bag—given it was a three days trip only—she came out of her room to see her mom on her laptop on the dinning table. They had set up for Riley to travel on her mom's plane... a plane which had no alcoholic beverages to offer or buy, at her mother's request of course.

"I'm ready to go." Riley said.

Her mom looked up from the laptop—taking off her glasses and standing up from the chair. Citra sighed as she stood in front of her daughter—she was more worried about her well-being that she lent on, she knew she needed to trust Riley and there was a time when she did, but right now she didn't.

"Riley— take care of yourself. I know it's three days and you are a grown woman, but you know what I mean. Come back home okay?" Citra wasn't a woman that was good with showing physical affection, but she knew that she needed to hug her daughter right now—she needed to show her affection in other way.

"I'm sorry mom." Riley's words were enough for Citra to understand.

Backing away from the hug she touched her daughter's face with a sad smile. "Saya cinta kamu."

Riley understood and nodded, "I love you too mom."

"Jeffrey is waiting outside to drive you to the airport, text me when you land although I'll know. Have a good time and take care." She repeated.

Riley clenched the hilt of her luggage and nodded again. After saying her goodbyes she exited the house and began her way to the airport.

Soon enough she was on the plane on her nearly 10 hour flight to Scotland.

Did Paris really have to chose such a far place to settle in?

They had been texting through the flight about meaningless things and when she was set to arrive—Paris was going to pick her up in Glasgow when she arrived. Other than that Riley stopped replying to her ex, it was just too much sometimes and right now, she was overwhelmed.

Riley knew it was her abstinence starting to kick in though, even she was sober for weeks it didn't mean there wouldn't be times when she would be hit with the abstinence. The urge to get a drink. She was lucky to be locked in a plane for several hours right now, she had no option but to take it and suffer.

Suffer, but in reality is just trying to help herself.

The flight attendants that her worked in her mother's plane came to check on her every hour, asking if she needed anything at all. Each time Riley said no, all she needed was sleep and the luxurious plane of her mother happened to have a bedroom so that's where she went—she slept for the reminder of the trip until she had to go back to her seat for landing.

She probably fucked up her sleeping schedule by doing that.

"It's fucking freezing." Riley complained as she loaded the back of Paris car with her luggage.

"It's August, it's not that cold." She said as she closed the trunk.

"It's colder than LA, so it's freezing for me." Riley muttered as she entered the car.

"I did tell you to bring a jacket." Paris said as she got in an adjusted her seatbelt. "How was the flight?"

"Long."

The frenchwoman nodded at the curt reply of her ex. "Are you hungry? There's a McDonalds near, we could get something."

"Sure." Riley looked out of the window.

Paris decided to think that Riley's attitude was given to her being jet lagged... and she hoped she was right.

They stopped to get McDonalds through the drive-thru, Riley had declined to go inside the place. She apparently wanted to get to her hotel and rest already. Paris didn't comment and rather complied.

"You could've staid with me, you know? Instead of paying for a hotel." Paris said once she was parked in front of the hotel.

"It was best if I didn't. We both know that." Riley unbuckled her seatbelt and exited the car.

She was tired and her head hurt, the last thing she wanted was to deal with Paris's questions that will sure come.

Paris got out of the car to help her with her luggage and food. "We'll see each other tomorrow then?"

"We will, that's why I came all the way here." Riley grabbed the bag with one hand and the McDonalds with the other.

"I'm glad you did."

Riley hummed, "See you tomorrow Paris."

"See you tomorrow Riles, rest up."

"I will."

Riley knew that was a lie—throughout the night she laid awake watching television or scrolling through her phone. It was a long night of insomnia cause by both the sleep during the flight and her restless mind thinking of every possible way she could fuck up her life.

Only did she find sleep at five in the morning in her lonely, dark, hotel room.

A/N - Took a while but I'm finally back on track with this book and know exactly how it goes from here. Hope y'all enjoyed!

Thoughts?