Chapter 40

Cassidy didn't miss Scotland.

Not when compared to the italian sun and weather, but she still had a family—specifically a grandmother who had suffered a heart attack not that long ago.

She walked into her family house opening the door with her keys, no one knew she would be coming by today so she expects Alessia to be annoyed by her sudden appearance—as she usually is with her.

"Nan Rose?" Cassidy said loudly as she didn't hear anyone—they probably are at the bakery as normally.

She sighed and walked upstairs towards her room. The old house was filled with pictures of her whole family—including her and Alessia's parents. She stopped to look at the picture of her with Alessia and her parents—she was just three years old in the photo and was besides her mother who was holding a newborn Alessia with their dad standing behind them.

They looked so young in that photo—Alessia was vivid copy of their mom and she would be even more alike if she stopped dying her hair blonde—she should let it grow back to it's original auburn color. Cassidy didn't understand why she didn't.

Looking away from the photo and resumed her way to her old room to leave her bag and head to the bakery.

She passed by Alessia's room and —as expected— was empty—she wasn't sure how often Alessia stayed here now that she was dating Paris, but she knew she wouldn't leave their grandmother alone for too long.

Alessia was the sister who stayed, while Cassidy... was the ungrateful sister that ran away from her problems.

Leaving her stuff at the house Cassidy headed to the family bakery where everyone should be at. All these past months she has kept in touch with her grandma, calling at the least once a week—while she constantly tried to get Alessia to text her back but she rarely did. Her cousin Sean will also text her every now and then, it was good when he did at least someone kept her on the loop. Paris on the other hand... she doesn't know much about the frenchwoman lately.

Cassidy entered the bakery and immediately spotted Sean attending tables while her grandma was sat behind the cashier. When she spotted her granddaughter she put on her glasses and smiled.

"Hi nan Rose."

"Oh dear! What a lovely surprise, I wasn't expecting you to come visit. Come here." Nan Rose motioned with her hand for her granddaughter to round the counter and come to give her a hug.

"It was supposed to be a surprise." Cassidy she said as she was in her grandma's arms.

"Aye color me surprised." Her grandmother looked just like she did the last time she saw her months ago, except her white hair was cut shorter.

"I went by the house but I figured you were all here." Cassidy backed away from the hug.

"Your sister is in the kitchen with that french."

Cassidy couldn't help but chuckle at her grandma's animosity towards Paris. "She's not bad nan, give her a chance—she makes the littlest one happy."

"Aye unfortunately." The older woman mumbled.

"I don't think Alessia wants to see me so I'll go say hi to Sean instead." She tried walking away only for her grandmother to grab her arm.

"You and your sister are going to have to make amends at some point, you two are family—sisters. It's been years, whose going to take the bloody step to forgive each other." Her grandmother's icy eyes stared right through her, making Cassidy look away not being able to hold eye contact.

"I tried, nan, is not like I didn't. Alessia doesn't want anything to do with me." Cassidy bit her lip. "If there's someone you should have this conversation with it's her. I tried okay? She won't listen and she won't forgive, I'll always be there for her... but with distance."