Chapter 39

"Miss Drake you've got a visitor." The nurse announced as Riley was too immersed in her book.

Riley lifted her gaze and smiled at the sight of Cassidy. She stood up from her chair and went in to hug her.

"Hi," she said against her shoulder.

"Hey." They broke the hug and Cassidy was looking at her with a smile. "How are you?"

"Better than last week, and the last... and the last."

"Aye that's the spirit init?" Cassidy let Riley drag her to a chair across from her's on the table as she usually did. "What are you reading?"

"I'm trying to learn ASL." She closed the book. "Not as easy as it sounds."

Riley wanted to communicate with Heather other than through notes when she got out, so for the last three of the six months since she has been admitted into rehab she has tried to self learn ASL. Again, not easy.

Six months, six torturous —but worthy— months. Riley has been clean of alcohol for all that time as she had already figured out before even being admitted, she would have to stay at the minimum of a year in the rehab center.

During all these months her mother has not failed to come visit at least four times a months—sometimes less but she never missed a month so far. Cassidy has come over every day since she was allowed to have visitors, which is two days a week.

Her dad had reached out to her, and Riley wished she had took it better than she did, her father wasn't a family man— well not a family man to their family, but when they talked over the phone it pissed her off—it took for Riley to get into rehab for him to acknowledge her existence, so she had told him to fuck off and never contact her again. Her mom though later told her he had offered to pay for the rehab costs, something her mom turned down—Citra could very much take care of it without any sort of help, specially not his.

And Heather... she couldn't exactly call her and Riley didn't have a cellphone, she also didn't know her address so she couldn't write a letter to her, so she has had zero communication with her ever since she got admitted. Riley hoped every day that Heather didn't hate her for that.

"I believe you on that, it is sweet though." Cassidy said.

"Yeah... what it's not sweet is that I can't even communicate with her." Riley swallowed her anger and took Cassidy's hand. "How's the job at the restaurant?"

"It's a waitress job is nothing of another world." The Scot's smile didn't flatter. Cassidy's hair was longer and her darker blonde hair was started to show on her roots over her bleached tone.

"I told you you didn't have to work if you didn't want to, I'm in here but I can very much pay for the both us." Riley worked for her mom's company, she wouldn't be fired—less of all now so she had a more than good pay... along with some other—many privileges of being the CEO's daughter.

Cassidy shook her head, "I like to gain my own money I told you, I already live in your house for free."

"Our house." Riley corrected her, "It is mine as much as it is yours, no matter if I paid for it that's your house too Cass."

"I'll fight you on that another day."

Riley chuckled, "How's your love life?"

"Same as last week."

She pouted, "Oh come on you always say that Cass, there must be something."

Cassidy crossed her arms and leaned against the chair. They were on the common room of the rehab center, there were people walking in an out or sat watching tv, playing cards, making puzzles, writing, reading, anything.