chapter 27 custody battle

-a couple weeks later- Hazel is 14 weeks and 4 days old-
Lia gets a call from the court. "Hello, may I speak to Miss James?" He said. "Hi, this is she. What is this regarding?" She asked. "The court date, for the custody battle." He said. "I'm sorry, what?" She said, looking scared. "Yes, your mom called. She said she would give you the message." He said. "She didn't. When is the court date?" She asked. "It's Friday." He said. "Ok, thank you." She said and hung up.

Lia had a frown on her face when Emily came into the room. "What's wrong?" She asked. "My mom, she's trying to get custody of Hazel, Em, I don't know what to do!" Lia said. "Omg, I'm sorry, you know what, let me call my lawyer. She is the best and wins most of her battles." Em said. "Thank you so much for all your help." Lia said. "Of course, and I don't want to see your mom get custody of your child." Em said and walked to another room to call her lawyer.

30 minutes later, she comes back. "You got yourself a lawyer." Em said. "Omg, really! Thank you." She said and hugged Em.

Someone was knocking on the door like a crazy person, and Sophie ran in. "I wanted to tell you asap, mom called the court and set a date for the custody battle." She said. "Yeah, I know, the court called." Lia said. "I'm so sorry, Lia, but I'm going to be there and help." She said. "Thanks, I'm glad to have my sister by my side." Lia said.

"This might be hard, though, because mom has everything she needs to win a husband, a stable house, and of course, she has nothing on her criminal record." Sophie said. Lia looked even more worried. "I have a parking ticket on my record. Are they really not going to give me custody for that?" She said. "Yes, they can, but luckily, you have a good lawyer." Em said. "Yeah, thank you both for your support, I love you." Lia said. "Of course, we love you too." They both said.

-the next morning- Thursday-
Hazel was crying. Lia woke up and went to change and feed her. After that, she takes Hazel to the kitchen to make coffee. Emily goes to the kitchen.

"You're up early?" Emily questioned. "Yeah, I could barely sleep, I can't lose her, Emily." She said, hugging Hazel tight. "Lia, it's going to be ok." Em said. Sophie came into the house. "Can you watch her tomorrow when I'm at the court?" Lia asked. "Of course, sis, anything for my sis and niece." She said.

-the next day after the custody battle-
On the drive home. "I can't believe mom got custody of Hazel, I thought your lawyer was good!" Lia said. "Chill out, Lia, the Judge said for a couple of days until she is done checking if this is a good environment for Hazel." Em said. "I know, but what if the judge doesn't think I'm good enough." She said. "She will, you are a good mother and just because she doesn't have a father, doesn't mean you don't have support, you have me and your sister and the Judge will see that." Em said. "Ok, I am hopeful that I will get my baby back." Lia said.

565 words not including this