Flufftober #3 // A Day Of Surprises

Flufftober 2023 day three prompt: "Wait, you love me?" - "I always have"

Aaaand I'm late again. Starting this 3 & 1/2 hours past the day. I promise to set an alarm for when I wake up to remind me to start writing today's fic (aka the one after this one) immediately. Or well, at least after I have breakfast. Enjoy!

•••

Cyrus wakes up to his alarm, turning it off before realizing, it's Saturday. There's no school today, and it's his birthday!

He jumps up out of bed and goes to get changed into his favourite outfit. After, he walks downstairs and greets his parents, who immediately wish him a happy birthday.

As he sits down at the table, he quickly sends the GHC group chat a text that just says 'good morning :)', and his father sets a plate of chocolate chip pancakes in front of him.

"So, how does it feel to be fourteen?" his step mother asks, now sipping her coffee and smiling at him.

"It feels, good I think?" Cyrus laughs. "I don't know, I don't really feel any different yet, but it's always fun to have a birthday."

The three of them make small talk as Cyrus digs into his pancakes, ignoring the incessant buzzing of his phone.

Once his breakfast is finished, he takes his plate to the sink and heads over to the couch. He takes out his phone and sees that his friend group chat has sent him a bunch of happy birthday messages, which he responds to with 'thank you's before seeing that TJ has also texted him. Opening the message, he reads it and smiles.

Teej: happy birthday!!
delivered 9:32 am

Teej: do you have any
plans yet today?
delivered 9:34am

Cyrus: Just dinner
tonight with my four
parents. The actual
party is tomorrow.
delivered 10:21am

Cyrus: Why?
read 10:22am

Almost immediately after Cyrus sends the second message, TJ reads it and starts typing.

Teej: I was thinking I
could take you
somewhere as a birthday
surprise! What do you
think? I could come and
get you at about noon?
delivered 10:23am

Wow, Cyrus thinks to himself. He remembered my birthday and he has a surprise trip for me? That's so sweet. He instantly replies back in the affirmative, and TJ confirms that he'll be there at ten past 12.

•••

An hour or so later, when TJ arrives at his house, Cyrus says goodbye to his parents and heads outside, walking alongside his best friend and crush of over a year. Wondering where he's being taken, he decides to break the silence.

"So, where are we going?" he asks, looking over at the blond.

TJ smirks back, and responds, "you'll have to wait and see. It's a surprise, remember?"

Cyrus sighs. "Fine."

TJ relents a little. "All I can say is that there will be more than one stop. But we'll be at the first place soon."

Cyrus perks up a bit at that, and after a few more minutes, they stop in front of The Spoon, where TJ gestures him inside.

"The Spoon is our first stop?" Cyrus smiles.