Poser

Another song-based oneshot. This song is from Grace VanderWaal's new EP 'Letters: Vol 1'. Hope you enjoy!

•••

We were hanging with your rich kid city friends, ones that I don't know

Cyrus approached TJ, as he and his friends stopped their motorbikes. This wasn't really his scene, but when TJ asked him to hang out, he couldn't say no. Cyrus really liked being around him, more than he liked being around his other friends, although he wasn't so sure of the reason yet. He was beginning to slightly regret coming, as he didn't know any of TJ's other friends and was very shy around new people. It didn't help that they rode motorbikes and came from a pretty rich city.

Not sure what to say, say it anyway, it isn't how I thought it'd go

"Cyrus! Hey! Glad you could make it!" TJ greeted, as he took off his helmet. "This is Reed, and Lester."

He didn't know how to respond without giving away his nervousness. Eventually, he blurted out, "I don't really think I'm gonna be riding. I'd probably lose a shoe in the process and then fall off and scrape my knee."

He laughed nervously as it hit him that he just said the most awkward thing ever.

"You're funny," Reed told him. "You should hang with us at the skate park next weekend."

And even if I'm faking it, pretending to be confident
I'm pathetic, I'll admit, asking

Cyrus really didn't feel like hanging out with TJ's friends again after today, but he didn't want to seem like a wimp. So he faked a bit of confidence.

"Thanks. I'll think about it."

TJ got off his bike and set his helmet down. Then he walked up to Cyrus to see how he was doing.

Would you call me a poser, or would you call me a friend?

"Hey, you alright?" TJ sat down on the rocks next to Cyrus.

"I'm fine, don't worry," Cyrus replied with a fake smile.

He wasn't fine. But he didn't want TJ to know that, so he pretended to be happy to not make him feel bad. He suddenly wondered if he was a good enough friend for TJ. He felt so unimportant in comparison to TJ's other cool, much more fun friends. Friends don't usually put on an act in front of each other, do they? They open up about their feelings instead of pretending to be something they're not.

After all that I told you, was this time well spent?

Later on, TJ and Cyrus went to the swings alone to destress. Cyrus wanted to get some things off his chest. They were both swinging lightly when he spoke up.

"TJ?" Cyrus asked nervously. "Remember when we first met on these swings and I told you I had stuff?"

"Yeah, I do. I'm glad we had that talk. It really helped me," TJ told him, smiling.

"You really helped me too," Cyrus said. "I actually wanted to tell you just now...I have anxiety, so I'm sorry if I acted weird around your friends. The bikes kind of intimidated me. But I want you to know you mean a lot to me."

I don't know what this meant

"Thank you Cyrus, for telling me. You mean a lot to me too. And don't worry about acting weird, you were perfectly okay." TJ gave Cyrus a warm smile, and reached out and held his hand, intertwining their fingers.

Cyrus smiled back, looking in his eyes.

Then TJ's phone went off and he let go, reading the text. He stood up from the swing.