Obsessed

Based on the song Obsessed by Miley Cyrus. (2009 song)
-
This is considerably shorter than my usual oneshots, but I hope you guys like it anyway. Sorry for the long wait. Enjoy!

•••

After lying on his back in bed for who knows how long, Cyrus leans his head to the side to look at his alarm clock. 2:38 AM. He knows that he needs to get to sleep somehow, so he doesn't fall asleep in class later, but for some reason he just can't. It's so frustrating, but all he can think about is one thing. One person.

TJ Kippen.

The blond has been on his mind almost 24/7 lately, much to his inconvenience. This crush is going to be the death of him. Especially since TJ clearly has much better things to do than ever even entertaining the idea of dating someone like Cyrus. He has Kira, after all. Why would he want some unathletic, wimpy boy who acts more similarly to a 5-year-old than a 14-year-old, when he could have the gorgeous, sporty, popular girl? Cyrus scoffs at the thought.

Closing his eyes, he groans aloud in irritation and tightly clenches his fists when TJ's face appears in his imagination. Why does this have to happen to him? He just wants to sleep. But apparently all his brain wants to do is torture him with images of the basketball player's cute, cute face and make him pine somehow even more than before. Maybe he should read a book or something? It might seem counterproductive when he's trying to get some rest, but if it distracts him from thinking about TJ then maybe he'll have a better chance of sleeping after.

Cyrus sits up and takes a book off his nightstand. His bookmark is somewhere in the middle from when he was reading it a few weeks ago. Well, might as well continue it now.

Opening the book, he takes the bookmark and places it where the book lay earlier, and begins to read from where he left off. By the time he reaches the end of the page, he realizes he hasn't retained any of the information he just read. At the same time, this is when he realizes he's also been replaying his last interaction with TJ in his head instead.

He grabs one of his decorative pillows and throws it across the room in helpless frustration. Soon, a tear runs down his cheek and he wipes it away, immediately berating himself under his breath.

As he sets down his book again, he glances at the time. 2:51. He's officially been trying and failing to fall asleep for 5 hours now. Gosh, I really am obsessed, aren't I? Crud, he thinks to himself with a sigh.

After tossing and turning in his bed for 5 more minutes, Cyrus buries his face into his pillow and squeezes his eyes shut, willing himself not to cry.

I want him here... his mind sounds off. I need him here with me... I want to hug him so badly. He looks so warm and cuddly...

Knowing he can't ever have what he wants, all because of stupid Kira; it just makes him feel like sobbing even more.

If I could just hear his voice-, his brain unhelpfully supplies.

He shakes his head. No. I can't do that. He's sleeping, and it would be so rude to wake him up. He probably wouldn't even answer.

But what if he does?

After a few more moments of hesitation, he snatches his cell phone from his nightstand and begins to dial TJ's number.

After 4 rings, TJ picks up and speaks from the other end.

"Cy?" his tired voice comes through. "Are you okay? What's going on? What time is it?"

"I-" Cyrus starts. I just wanted to hear your voice. I needed so desperately to hear your voice because you're all that's been on my mind lately and I think I love- Oh my gosh stop it you sound like a creep! "I... couldn't sleep. I'm- I'm sorry I woke you up, it's like 3 in the morning and I know that's so insanely late but I just-"

"Yeah?"

"I needed to talk to someone." I needed to talk to you.

"It's okay, Cyrus, trust me. If you need someone to talk to, I'm always here and you don't have to worry about it. I don't mind, really."

"Are you sure?" Cyrus asks, biting his lip. "I can just hang up and watch YouTube or something if you'd-"

"I'm sure, Underdog," TJ assures, to which Cyrus quietly sighs in relief. "Now, mind telling me what's got you up so late?"

"I dunno... just, thinking about a lot of things," the brunet vaguely states.

"Things like...?" TJ prompts.

Quickly, he thinks of something to cover it up with. "You know, I mean, what with Andi leaving for SAVA next year and Buffy planning to try out for junior varsity, I'm just kind of worried we might not all have as much time to hang out with each other."

"I see," TJ replies. "I'm sorry you're dealing with that, I know it must be stressful and I understand your concerns. You guys are all so close though, I'm sure you'll work it out. Try not to worry about it too much."

"I guess that makes sense. I'll try."

"And no matter what happens, at least you have me!" the athlete says with a chuckle.

Cyrus nervously laughs along. "Yeah, that's good. Thanks."

"Any time."

"Anyway, uh... I think I can probably sleep now. Thanks for talking with me and not like, getting mad or anything."

"Why would I get mad at you for that? You're my best friend. I'm just glad I could help. Wanna hang out at The Spoon after school?" TJ asks.

"You're my best friend too. Thank you, really. And yeah, sure, that sounds fun."

"Cool. Goodnight Cyrus."

"Night Teej."

After they hang up, Cyrus settles back into bed with a smile on his face.

Maybe TJ isn't too busy with Kira after all.

•••