Ours

And it's not theirs to speculate if it's wrong, and your hands are tough but they are where mine belong. And I'll fight their doubt and give you faith with this song for you.

People throw rocks at things that shine, but they can't take what's ours.

The stakes are high, the water's rough, but this love is ours.

- 'Ours' by Taylor Swift

•••

Cyrus and TJ walked through the door of Cyrus's house and into the living room.

"Mom? Todd?" Cyrus nervously attempted to get his mother and step-father's attention.

They put down their books and looked up at Cyrus. "Yes, honey?" his mother replied.

"I have to tell you something."

"Oh, does TJ need to go to the other room or?" Todd asked.

"No, he can stay," Cyrus said, turning to give TJ a nervous smile.

"Okay, go ahead sweetie, we're listening," his mother told him.

"Alright. Um, anyways. I don't know how you're going to take this. It's been awhile coming but I think I'm ready to tell you. I'm, uh..." Cyrus gulped, scared of their reaction. "I-I'm gay."

"Oh," Todd spoke. Cyrus's mother was just sitting there with anxious eyes, opening and closing her mouth. She wasn't sure what to say.

Cyrus squeezed his eyes shut for a moment before opening them again. "There's more..." He looked down at TJ's hand and up to his eyes for approval. TJ reluctantly nodded. Cyrus took TJ's hand in his and interlocked their fingers. His parents' eyes widened more. "TJ is my boyfriend," Cyrus told them.

TJ gave his boyfriend's parents a timid smile. He soon directed his gaze elsewhere, not knowing what could happen. Todd stood up and sighed, walking out of the room and into his bedroom.

"I'm just- gonna go...talk to him," Cyrus's mother said, while awkwardly motioning down the hall. "Um...yeah." She slowly got up and left to follow Todd.

Meanwhile Cyrus put his head in his hands, and TJ hugged him from the side, rubbing circles on his back. When they parted, Cyrus looked up at TJ with disappointed eyes.

"Well, that was a bust," TJ sighed, looking at Cyrus sympathetically.

"Tell me about it," he replied, sighing defeatedly. "I was hoping he'd react a little better, considering he's a therapist. But I guess not."

When his mother came back, she looked at her son with sad eyes. "I'm sorry, Cyrus, he's just a bit upset right now. I'm sure he'll come around. He still loves you, he just doesn't really think it's right. I still love and support you though, and I always will. I don't care who you like, as long as you're happy. Come here." She motioned for him to come over.

Cyrus walked over to her and hugged her, while TJ awkwardly stood near the couch with his hands in his pockets. After they were done hugging, Cyrus's mother spoke, "and TJ, I'll support you too. But you make sure to take care of Cyrus and treat him well, because if you hurt him I will make you regret it."