Flower Notes

"How was your day?" Cyrus's mom asked him as he walked through the door.

"Fine," he replied as he grabbed a banana, ready to head up to his room.

"Anything interesting happen?"

"Nope, just the usual." He ran upstairs and flopped down on his bed.

You would think that Cyrus Goodman was just your average, non-athletic middle schooler. But he had a big secret that very few people know. He's gay and used to have a crush on the frisbee team captain, Jonah Beck. But that was gone now.

What nobody knew was that now he had a huge crush on the basketball jock, TJ Kippen. They had become friends, but what Cyrus didn't know was that TJ had his own secret, and a plan up his sleeve.

•••

"You guys up for baby taters at The Spoon at around 5?" Andi asked her friends as they walked to school together on Tuesday morning.

"Sure," Cyrus replied.

"Yep, sounds good," Buffy agreed. "So, how's your crush going, Cyrus?"

"Crush? What crush?!" Cyrus momentarily panicked. Nobody could know he liked TJ.

"Your crush on Jonah...are you okay, Cyrus?" Andi said. Cyrus mentally sighed in relief.

"Yeah I'm fine, don't worry. Oh, and that's gone. I don't like him anymore."

"Are you sure?" Buffy asked. "Just a few weeks ago you got all sweaty when he tried to film you for Metcalf."

"I'm sure, Buffy. I only see him as a friend now."

They arrived at Jefferson Middle School and split up to go to their lockers. But when Cyrus opened his locker, he noticed someone had put something in there.

He picked up the red, flower-shaped note and unfolded it.

'your smile is the light in a darK room. signed, flower boy.'

He smiled for about 5 seconds and then got confused. He frowned. Who would send him a message like this? He wasn't at all popular and he was sure nobody liked him.

He stuffed it in his bag and closed his locker before heading to class. But he didn't know that someone was watching him from afar.

•••

TJ sighed as he erased what was on his paper for the third time.

Buffy was trying to tutor him, but he couldn't get it right no matter how hard he tried.

"Come on TJ, you can do this. I know your dyscalculia makes it hard, but you have to try," she told him.

"I AM trying!" he said, raising his voice.

"I'm sorry, TJ. I just want to help, but I'm not sure how. Maybe you need a better tutor."

He sighed again before saying, "I'm gonna go use the restroom."

Buffy nodded as he left the room.

He walked over to Cyrus's locker and opened up his bag. After he slipped a note inside the locker he whispered, "I wish I could be with you."

He walked to the restroom, but once he was inside he just sat against the wall and brought his knees up to his chest.

Why can't I be normal? he thought to himself as he quietly sobbed into his knees.

Soon, he realized Buffy was still waiting for him and he needed to go back to his tutoring session. He got up and washed his face before heading back.