Run and Hide

Exaggeratedly based on "Run and Hide" by Sabrina Carpenter. AU where love supposedly doesn't exist anymore and Cyrus wants to find it.

•••

I don't wanna buy what they're selling these days, saying feeling and falling is all a mistake. No, no

I walk through the doors of Grant High. My third day of ninth grade, and yet again I see him. Tall, blonde. Green eyes. Oh, his eyes. 'Cut it out, Cyrus,' I tell myself. 'There's no more love. Get yourself together.' I take a deep breath and head to my locker.

After I put in the combination and stuff my bag inside, I grab my textbook and a book I got from the library. I like to read about what it was like years ago, and hope that someday things will turn out different. Closing my locker, I walk into my history class, right as the bell rings.

And why does everybody look at young hearts feeling love like it's just a matter of time before they break? No, no

Once I sit down, the green-eyed boy looks over at me from his table and smiles. It's a warm, friendly smile, enough to make my heart melt. But I have to focus on school. I can't get caught up in something that will never work out. I give a small smile back before turning to the front. Once again, Ms. Francis starts her daily morning lecture about not getting caught up in love. Every first period teacher is required to do this before teaching their subject.

They started saying, "When you can't hide, run. When you can't run, hide."

It's the same thing every time. Don't catch feelings. Don't fall in love. Don't even consider falling in love. And if you do, you have to hide it. If you can't hide it, stay away from that person. It's for the best, blah blah blah. They'll break your heart, blah blah blah. It's not worth it.

I hate this every day. Who cares if it doesn't work out? I'd feel so much better knowing I at least tried. In all the books I've read it seems like the best feeling in the world.

Started thinking love's a loaded gun; nobody wants to fight

The teacher goes on and on about how love has caused so much distress in the past. People fighting over one person they all like. Jealousy. Heartbreak. Distraction. All the bad stuff. But she never once mentions the good feelings.

And when did we all stop thinking that the world stops spinning in a kiss goodnight?
And when did our heartbeat beating too fast stop meaning it was worth the while?

I start to tune her out as I read my library book. It's about a girl who helps a boy find his true self, and they fall in love. Whenever he sees her his heart races, and he feels happy. When they kiss it's like they're the only people on earth. Why are those things not seen as worth it anymore? It feels wrong that people are pushing this out of existence.

I wanna, I wanna be loved (x3)
And I don't wanna run, I don't wanna hide

Soon, I start to daydream about a life where things are different. Anyone can love whoever and nobody is allowed to tell them otherwise. I think about how much I want to hold hands with someone. Hug each other whenever we meet. Go on movie dates. Just love each other and be together. It's not fair. I don't want to have to hide my feelings.

Traded out our eyes to light a screen, traded out holding hands to holding back everything. No, no

I'm jolted out of my thoughts when the bell rings. The teacher tells us all to go to the school library and study, because it's a free period. I get out of my seat and collect my things, heading out of the classroom.