Flufftober #5 // Love and Nail Polish

Flufftober 2023 day five prompt: x + 1

Introducing: 3 times TJ marvels at Cyrus' painted nails + 1 time he lets Cyrus paint his nails too!! Ahhh it is so difficult to come up with pure fluff to begin with but especially on such an open ended prompt lolol. As I was racking my brain trying to come up with something I kept catching myself starting to formulate an angst with happy ending x+1 thing and then being like "no. No! No angst! Just fluff." 😂 It was actually harder than I thought. But, I got it! Enjoy :)

(Update after writing: there is still a teensy bit of angst sprinkled in, but nothing too serious. Sorry about that)

•••

~one~

As TJ stands at his locker, gathering his books for the day, he thinks to the night before. Cyrus told him and their other friends that he has a surprise today, but the blond isn't quite sure what kind of surprise this is going to be. Anything related to Cyrus is exciting, though, of course, since TJ has had the biggest crush on him for a while now.

He waits to see if Cyrus will walk by before class, but the bell soon rings and he has to go. Shutting his locker, he walks to class, trying to keep his suspense at bay.

Later, at lunch time, he sits down at the lunch table with Andi, Buffy, and Jonah. They greet him when he arrives, and he asks them where Cyrus is.

"He should be here soon," Buffy tells him. "Have you not seen him yet today?"

"No, I haven't, why?" TJ asks.

"No reason," Buffy waves him off, trying to hide a smirk.

After a few minutes, Cyrus walks up to the table and sits down, saying hello to everyone, and asking if anyone notices anything different about him. TJ sees that Cyrus is smiling timidly, and suddenly catches a glimpse of his hands.

The brunet's nails are painted a stunning medium-dark blue, and TJ cannot take his eyes off of them. He is in awe, and he knows he is staring at this point, but he just can't seem to care at the moment.

Buffy and Andi squeal in delight and compliment him on his nails, while Jonah, in true Jonah Beck™ fashion, just says, "dosh!" and gives a thumbs up. Meanwhile, TJ is still on blue screen mode.

"Um, so, what do you think?" Cyrus asks nervously, looking over at TJ now.

TJ blinks as he returns to reality, and gives an easy smile. "It's nice. They- you did a good job. They look cool."

"Thanks," Cyrus beams, before joining his friends' conversation and starting to eat.

•••

~two~

The breeze flows through the air and TJ shivers for a moment, as he walks along the sidewalk to The Spoon. Summer has officially come and passed, and it is now autumn. He should've brought a hoodie, but he got used to not wearing them over the summer, so he forgot.

It's a Sunday afternoon, and he's supposed to meet his best friend Cyrus and their other friends at The Spoon to celebrate the new season. He checks the time and sees that it's 1:54. 'Shoot,' he thinks. 'They're expecting me in 6 minutes.'

TJ speeds up his pace, and begins to jog down the sidewalk, not wanting to be late. When he gets there, there's a minute to spare, and the group waves him over from the table they're sitting at.

"Hey guys," he greets them, as he slides in the booth next to Andi, across from Cyrus. "Is Jonah not here?"

"He's running a bit late, should be here in a few minutes," Buffy says.