Katie McCabe X Y/N ~Euro's Final~

Y/N's POV

July 2025

Final whistle goes at the Euro's final in Switzerland.

We did, AGAIN.

We won the fucking euros yet again.

A truly bittersweet moment for a few reasons.

This was Lucy Bronze's last ever game, yep, she's retiring after today, her knee just cannot take it anymore, she's always been a big sister to me, she took me under her wing when I joined the Lionesses, aged 17, she means a lot to me.

i'm devastated that she's now retiring before the next world cup, but at the end of the day, she has to prioritise her health before anything, which we all understood.

At least we'll be able to still see her as she promised that she would still be coming to games to support us, but especially her fiancé, Keira.

So we won 4-3 against the Republic of Ireland, which means Katie, my girlfriend, she lost, and that does hurt a bit to think about it.

After eventually getting up after collapsing on the pitch, we all go line up for our medals and to lift the trophy once again.

Once we'd collected our medals, we all awaited for Leah to come along with the trophy, and soon enough she does, we all hype her up, and she jogs up to us, jumping up before lifting it, we all start jumping up and down, arms around eachother as we scream at the top of our lungs.

After it briefly calms down, we all slowly make our way off the stage they'd set up on the pitch, and
my eyes instantly scan the pitch for Katie, but I can't see her anywhere, most of the ireland girls were still sat in bits on the floor, whilst our girls were all jumping up and down, going feral as usual, making their ways to family and friends in the stands.

I jog up to Lucy Quinn from the Ireland team, I give her a sad look, followed with a hug, "have you seen her?" I ask as we break off the hug.

"She's just gone off down the tunnel" Lucy responds to me, patting me on the back, I nod in response, giving her one quick hug before I jog off down the tunnel and to the changing rooms.

As I make my way to the Ireland changing rooms, I can hear a whole lot of banging and things been thrown, with a whole lot of other commotion.

I slowly open the door that the noise was clearly behind, and I was revealed with a very upset, angry, frustrated and emotional Katie McCabe, pacing around the room in her sports bra and shorts, punching, kicking, throwing and muttering things to herself.

She still hasn't acknowledged that somebody else is with her, I walk on in, closing the door behind me, and I very slowly approach my girlfriend, who has her back to me.

"Babe" I slowly let out, she doesn't acknowledge me, she just carries on kicking and throwing things around the room.

I step closer, grabbing her wrist, spinning her to face me, she is very clearly distraught, and that really did feel like a punch in the gut.

"Let go of me, get the fuck off me, I swear to fuckin' god L/N" Katie huffs out, using my last name, which she never does, unless she is absolutely raging.

She's trying to wriggle out of my grip, I only hold on tighter, wrapping my other arm around her shoulder. She tried to push me back, but my grip was firm.

"Y/N, FUCKING let go of me before I end up hitting you" Katie says shouting, her anger clearly only boiling even more as she keeps on trying desperately to get out of my firm grip. I simply ignore it, knowing she wouldn't hit me, not on purpose anyway.

"Katie, stop. Come here, it's okay, it's okay" I say softly, trying to reassure my girlfriend.

"No, no, just-jus, get, get off, off of me" Katie stutters, tears streaming down her face.

I only pull her in even tighter, eventually pulling her with me to sit down, and pulling her to sit on me, I gently grab the back of her neck for her to rest her head on my chest, she reluctantly does so, and her arms eventually find their way around my neck, holding on tightly.

Her huffs and tenseness slowly settled down, those huffs and the tense eventually turned into whimpers and relaxation, her body slowly melting into mine as her sobs vibrated against my neck as they got louder and louder.

"sh, sh, sh, it's okay my love, it's okay" I whisper quietly as I rock us calmly, using my one hand to run its fingers through Katie's hair.

"I-I, played, so, so- f-fu-fucking awfully" Katie choked out, now hysterically crying in my arms, which made my heart twist horribly.

"No Katie. That's not true and you know it. You were without a fucking doubt the best player on that pitch today. You covered all of the pitch for over 90 minutes, none stop. Baby, you need to be so proud of yourself, you've led these girls to a final" I say, taking a brief pause, before I continue.

"That in itself is a massive win, my love, you deserve to feel pride in all of that. I'm so proud of you, so are the rest of the girls, so are the fans, and most importantly, so are your family and friends" I say, still playing with my girlfriends hair as I try to calm her down.

Eventually, after a while of sitting like this, Katie's heavy sobs turn back into quiet whimpers every now and then, removing her one arm from around my neck to wipe her tears.

This is when it's the first time she looks at me since being in here, her eyes are all bloodshot, both her eyes and cheeks are puffy, with her cheeks being stained with dried tears.

I use my fingers to lift her chin up, to get her to maintain eye-contact with me.

"I love you" I say softly, planting a delicate kiss on my girlfriend's forehead. "I love you too" Katie whispers quietly, she then gently grabs my face, holding my cheeks with her hands as she pulls me in, planting a small, soft and delicate kiss on my lips.

"It's all gonna be alright baby, I promise, my girl" I say before leaning in to kiss her again, slightly deepening the kiss, so Katie moves herself to straddle me, our lips not once daring to break apart.

She wraps her arms around my neck as my hands rest gently on her waist as she then deepens the kiss even more, forcing me backwards and leaning on the wall behind us.

Eventually, we break off our make out session to allow our lungs to get some oxygen, Katie rests her forehead on mine briefly before she leans back down planting another kiss on my lips then on my forehead before getting up from straddling me.

She grabs my hand, pulling me up from where I were sat, "c'mon, let's get back out. You've got a whole lot of celebrating to do" Katie says softly, I smile in response as she leads the way out the door, down the corridor and back out of the tunnel.

"I love you so much Y/N L/N, now go party hard baby girl" Katie says, pulling me in, kissing me on my cheek before pushing me towards my England teammates and she makes her way to her teammates who are at the stands with family and friends.

"I love you too Katie McCabe, so, so much" I shout back before eventually joining the rest of the England girls celebrating with their families, friends and the fans, singing all the traditional england football classics.

Ranging from "It's coming home" to "Sweet caroline", "Freed from desire" and of course to Rachel Daly's classic, "River deep, mountain high". I love these girls so so much.

What a day.

Finally decided to create a one shot book, give me some requests on players and kind of stories you'd like to read, i'll be sure to write them 🩵