Ellen White X Y/N~Passing Down The Number~

Flashback

31.07.22

Y/n's POV

We did it. We actually fucking did it.

We won the European Championship, 2022, home, at Wembley.

And it gets even better. I got to win it alongside my mother.

All time, England Lioness goal scorer, Ellen White.

As amazing as today is, it is also bittersweet.

Today was my Mum's last game, ever. After today, she was retiring from professional football.

We managed to what we both dreamed of though. Playing professionally, together. And Sarina gave us that opportunity. For that, we owe her massively.

Everyone in the outside world, but as well as myself, wasn't too sure about being called up to the senior team, at 16. As that very, very, rarely happens.

But Sarina reassured me this entire tournament, as did all the other staff, players and my Mum, that I was already playing at that kind of level, and I would be more than capable of playing at this level alongside the girls who've been here for a lot longer than myself.

Not many 16 year olds make their senior debut at a major tournament, let alone win a major tournament. So to have that in the cabinet, it is pretty special.

But now I have the responsibility of carrying on the legacy that my Mum started.

And I intend on carrying it on, and maybe one day, passing it down to my own children if I have any.

Talking of passing down. After my Mum, I will be the next to wear number 9 for the Lionesses.

I've been wearing number 19 since being in the senior team, but that's set to change.

It was an honour when Sarina told me about my Mum's request, and Sarina approved it. But also, those are some big boots to fill. Literally.

All I can do from now, is my best. For myself, Sarina, the team, and of course, my Mum.

Present day.

August 20th, 2023. Stadium Australia.

This was it.

15 minutes from now. I will be walking out the tunnel, to play in the FIFA World Cup Final, against Spain. Here in Sydney, Australia.

After warming up, we all headed back inside, to get changed into our kit. Once I got to my cubby, I couldn't help but just look at my shirt for a moment.

White

9

Instantly, it filled me with pride. So much pride. Getting to wear that number 9 now meant everything to me since my Mum passed it down.

I took off my warm up shirt, before taking my away shirt off the hanger and putting it on, then my anthem jacket.

Just like that, I was ready. Ready to play in a world cup final, at 17.

To be completely honest, I did not feel nervous, not like I did at the Euros.

I've come a long way from the unforgettable summer last year. My confidence in playing has significantly improved since then.

I'm loving every single minute of playing professionally, for both club and country.

I signed for Arsenal after the Euros last summer. Leaving the Manchester City academy since being there when my Mum signed.