Alessia Russo X Y/N~I Wasn't Good Enough~

Y/n's POV

The final whistle goes.

Instantly I just collapse to the floor. I physically couldn't keep myself standing. I was fucking exhausted. Physically and mentally.

We've just lost the world cup final, V Spain. 1-0.

We fought so hard. So fucking hard. But it wasn't enough.

I led down on the pitch, face down my head resting on my arms that were covering my eyes, covering my eyes that were pouring heavily, with tears.

A few of my Barcelona teammates on the Spain team had come over, but I shrugged them away and carried on crying my eyes out on the pitch.

Eventually, I sat myself up, looking around the pitch, looking over to see the Spanish team and staff all around eachother celebrating, and my team in little groups around the pitch, trying to comfort eachother, well other than me and Lucy. Both of us were sat on our own, away from everyone else.

Eventually, Sarina started to gather all of the girls into one big group, alongside all of our staff, one of our physios made her way over to me, signalling for me to come with her, she signalled the same to Lucy as well.

We both got ourselves up and slowly began the walk over to the rest of our team, who were in a big group huddle. I sat myself down, next to Lucy, Keira was crouched next to Lucy, trying to somewhat comfort her clearly devastated girlfriend.

I look up and see that Less is stood opposite me in the huddle. Those crystal, beautiful blue eyes of hers, usually filled with bright blue sparks, life, joy and happiness.

They were now all red, puffy, tired and somewhat lifeless. She was absolutely exhausted and devastated, just like the rest of us, we were all exhausted physically and mentally.

But seeing my girlfriend like that, it broke me even more. It broke me even more than I thought I could
be broken right now.

I choked on the cries I was so desperately trying to hold in, burying my face into my knees that were now bent up to my chest as I hugged them tightly.

I briefly look up and I see Sarina is making sure all of the girls and the staff are all together before stepping into the middle of the huddle.

"Look- I do not know what to say other than how proud of you girls I truly am. Not just you girls, but staff as well. Everyone here has worked their absolute hardest, as individuals and as a team, just like you. Of course, this isn't what we wanted, at all. However, please remember this, this moment right now, we got to a world cup final. That in itself is mind blowing and incredible achievement in itself. I am so proud and grateful to have gotten here with each and every single one of you girls and staff, we did all of this as a team, and there is no other team that I would have rather been here with today than you all. Hopefully, in the future, you, myself and everyone else will be able to look back on this journey and feel the pride of all the hard work that you've all put in to get here. I know it'll hurt for a while, of course it will.
But please, hold your heads high, I'm proud of you, the fans here and back home are all proud of you, I know your family and friends are all definitely proud of you, and you should all be proud of yourselves and eachother. We go on and up from here, this isn't the end of our journey. Well done girls, let's go do our lap before the ceremony"

I slightly look around the huddle, and there wasn't a dry eye in sight, everyone was in floods of tears, including myself, both from the loss and from Sarina's speech. She just knows what to say, how to say it and when to say it. Us Lionesses are very lucky to have her as our gaffer.

We all eventually find ourselves doing a lap of stadium Australia, applauding the fans who have been here supporting us.

After we'd finished the lap of the pitch, we all huddled back into a group, as the stage had finished being set up on the pitch.