Chapter 24

The back door of the SUV opened and Aisha came down, helped by one of her bodyguards. When she came out, she stood for a few seconds to looked at the building in front of her. It was the Benue Groups head office building.

Staring at the three-storey building reminded her of how far the family business had progressed over the years. The Building was like the control room that coordinated all their businesses.

God let this problem not affect us or our livelihood. She sighed and went inside and made her way directly to the board room. A meeting with the company lawyer had been scheduled. Aisha and her parents were worried about the case that was being brought against them, by the Ayodeji family.

They had no idea how far or when the case would be presented. But they had to prepare themselves with the help of the company lawyer. When the door of the boardroom opened, Aisha went inside and met her parents sitting down. They were the only two people in the room. The lawyer had not yet arrived.

"Mama, papa? Good morning." Aisha greeted her parents immediately. She first went to her father and half kneeled to greet him.

"God bless you my daughter."
"Thank you papa." She went to her mother and greeted her in the same manner. But her mother didn't take the greeting nicely.

"Aisha I want to have a word with you." Aisha saw the angry look on her mother's face. She knew something was wrong.

"Now?" She asked. Her mother nodded.
"Immediately!" In just a few minutes, Aisha and her parents would all  listen to the lawyer tell them what to do, if the Ayodeji family  pushed forward the case against the Benue Group.

Aisha felt that her mother wanting to talk to her, could wait. The meeting was more important than whatever her mother wanted to discuss with her.

"Mama, can't it wait? I mean, like after the meeting?" Her mother ignored her and got up. She left the boardroom. Aisha followed her out. Standing in front of the elderly woman, Aisha saw her mother holding a paper in her hand.

"Mama?"
"Aisha, can you explain what this is all about?" Her mother showed her a bank transfer transaction receipt. Aisha took the receipt and read it.

Sender: Aisha Benue
Amount: Naira 20million
Beneficiary: JC Gardens and Aisha Benue Resort.

Aisha coughed and rubbed her eyes as she stared at the transaction receipt. She had sent the money through her phone without checking the name of the beneficiary. Her eyes glowed in shock leaving her almost in tears. As she kept staring at the receipt, her mother looked into her eyes and said,

"Don't cry, o. This is evidence you  deliberately gave away 20 million Naira as handout. For free!" Aisha had nothing to say except bend her head and use her fingers to clean her eyes.

"By the way, what did you buy? What did you use the money for? Or have you started siphoning money out of the club accounts? Because you are also one of the beneficiaries."

Aisha realized that she had paid for a video that she never collected. Jacob didn't give her the pendrive. She remembered her conversation with him at the club. He had made her believe that he didn't want her anymore. That he wanted their relationship to end.

In between tears, she was able to laugh because she knew what Jacob had done. He had deliberately put on an act to withhold the pendrive. He then acted as if  he was blaming her for their rocky relationship. Doing so, he had diverted attention away from the pendrive. The alarm going off was his escape plan. To Aisha, Jacob had run off with the money and the pendrive, leaving her with nothing.

"Mama..."
"Don't mama me. I put you in charge of managing the clubs and what do I get? This is the result." Her mother angrily went back inside the boardroom and a few minutes later, the company lawyer came and the meeting started.