Chapter 29

From the way Florence was talking, Jacob immediately knew that she was trying to tell him something. He realized that it had nothing to do with what she was talking about. She wanted him back in her life, but this was something he couldn't give her.

"Florence?" He took hold of her hands and looked into her eyes. Florence for once felt the closeness of the man that had been with her for nine years, and it felt good. But what he said next infuriated her. "The engagement ring looks good on your finger. Rashid is a nice guy." Florence pulled her hands away in shock. Jacob knew the name of the man she was dating.

But it didn't surprise her too much. She had found out what he and Razaq were doing. This was on the day she found him after searching  for so long.

"Jacob have you been..."
"Look..."
"No, Jacob! Have you been spying on me?!" Immediately she went outside and called Razaq. When they both came in, Razaq looked at his friend with raised eyebrows.

"Razaq, spying on me? How could you guys do this to me?" Razaq sighed and went over to his computer.

"Okay ehm, we wanted to know if the guy was good, and whether you were safe or not. I mean..."
"Safe? A good guy? Did I tell you to look out for me?" She asked.
"No, well Jacob found out who you were dating, so he insisted we do a background check on Rashid. What we found is quite interesting. Your boyfriend works for a few shady groups who are engaged in shady financial transactions. Basically they target company accounts, hijack them and  transfer the resources offshore. Then they try to erase their tracks. Financially he can take good care of you, right? That's every girls dream."

"But you won't find more than a hundred thousand Naira in his bank account. Everything is offshore, locked away." Said Jacob.

"Up to three million dollars. Real dollars, I mean." Added Razaq. Florence clapped her hands.

"Good, you two. Very good, Jacob. You don't want me in your life, but you want to keep an eye on me, right?" Jacob sighed and bent his head down listening to Florence who kept talking and talking.

"Listen Florence, I still care about you okay? Those nine good years, I still remember them, everyday." Florence stretched out her right hand again, showing him her engagement ring.

"Then just tell me now Jacob, that you and I still have a future together. I will  leave Rashid, give him back  his engagement ring, and cancel his wedding proposal."

"Rashid is a good guy, Florence. He will take care of you." Florence looked at Jacob and remembered her encounter with Aisha.

"Seriously, Jacob, why can't you make up your mind? Is it because of her?" Jacob's eyes flashed as he glanced at Florence.   "Oh, so because of that criminal you call Aisha, you forgot the nine good years we spent together."

"Okay Florence don't think like that."
"No, no! That thing you're going crazy for? She is a criminal, if you don't know."
"No, Florence, if the two of us have a problem, leave every other person out of it."

"Seriously? So why is your crazy girlfriend involving me in some problem I know nothing about?" She asked. Jacob and Razaq paid close attention to what Florence had just said.

"What are you talking about?"
"That criminal told me to find you, because she said you took something that belongs to someone." Jacob and Razaq looked at each other. They knew what Florence was talking about.

"Okay, Florence I need to know what happened. What exactly did she tell you?" Asked Jacob. Florence walked rapidly up to the door. She turned and shook her head as she glanced at Jacob.

" I told her that one day, you will leave her, just like you left me. That you're a ghost, nobody knows who you are and where you come from. She slapped me twice." Florence left the Studio leaving Jacob and Razaq in shock.