40.

ना ना..
तू नज़्म नज़्म सा मेरे
होंठो पे ठहर जा
मैं ख्वाब ख्वाब सा तेरी
आँखों में जागूं रे

तू इश्क इश्क सा मेरे
रूह में आ के बस जा
जिस ओर तेरी सहनाई
उस ओर मैं भागूं रे

I was in the operating room, my heart racing as I focused on the task at hand

I was in the operating room, my heart racing as I focused on the task at hand. Before me lay an elderly man, his frail body connected to a web of wires and tubes.The patient named Mr. Bhavan, had been admitted with a severe case of diverticulitis, a painful condition that had caused inflammation and infection in his colon.

As I delicately worked to remove the damaged portion of Mr. Bhavan's colon, my mind was a whirlwind of concentration. The sterile, cold environment of the operating room provided a stark contrast to the warmth and bustle of everyday life.

The steady beep of the heart monitor was a constant reminder of the patient's fragile state.

Suddenly, the nurse, Sarah, whispered to me. "Dr. Meera, this is getting really complicated. I'm not sure we can save him."

I could hear the anxiety in her voice, and I felt a surge of concern. Operating rooms were supposed to be sterile and calm, but in that moment, tension hung heavy in the air. My gloved hands continued to work diligently, but my thoughts raced.

No, he will be healthy and he will run back to his family.

The nurse beside me handed me the necessary instruments, her voice low and reassuring. "You're doing great, Dr. Meera. Just take it one step at a time."

I nodded, my eyes fixed on the patient's abdomen. It was a delicate dance, cutting through layers of tissue to reach the source of the problem.

But as I probed deeper, I could see that the situation was worse than we had initially thought. The man's intestines were severely damaged, and the blood loss was becoming uncontrollable.

My heart sank as I realized the enormity of the situation. In a hushed tone, I spoke to the nurse. "We need more units of blood, and call in Dr. Patel for assistance."

She nodded and rushed to make the necessary arrangements. My hands were shaking slightly as I continued to work, trying to salvage the situation. But it was clear that time was not on our side.

Minutes felt like hours as I struggled to control the bleeding and repair the damaged tissue. The beeping of the heart monitor grew irregular, and a knot of dread formed in the pit of my stomach.

We are close Mr Bhavan, please fight. You can do this. Please don't give up. Not so soon.

Finally, the nurse spoke again, her face pale, and her voice quivering. "Dr. Meera, he is no more."