33🧹

After three days Emery had come home. It was close to seven when she got there. She knew Silas would still be at work so that gave her time to get her stuff out. She was glad she had saved the boxes from her first move.

Tim had tried to convince her not to. Told her that he knew she and Silas were meant to be. But she didn't want to hear it. Not at that moment. She needed and wanted to get away from him.

Unlocking the door to the house she was surprise to see Ace sitting at the door. She wondered if he had been waiting on her. Bending down she gave him a quick rub.

"I'm sorry I've been gone" she told him honestly. The large dog rubbed against her, happy to have her home.

"Emery?" He spoke. She looked up and there he was. Silas looked like life had really beaten him down in the last 72 hours.

"You should be at work" she said. He nodded. "I took some days off"

She stood going to move pass him. "I'm just here to collect my things and return the keys to the house" she spoke calmly.

Silas stared at her, confused, hurt in his eyes. "What're you saying?"

"We were never gonna work Silas. You, and me we weren't— aren't good for each other. Let's be honest—"

"Emery—"

"No" she stopped him. "Listen to me. We both have trauma that we need to heal from. Both of us have underlying pain, and untouched anger that we've let sit too long. I love you, lord knows I do but I can't do this anymore" she came closer stroking his cheek.

"Thank you for showing me what love was, and could be. For cherishing me, loving me, saving me from myself. Thank you for every single happy day you granted" she paused feeling herself become choked up.

"Don't I get a say?" He questioned. Emery didn't want to fight. She didn't have the energy.

He grabbed her wrist. Pulling her into his arms. "Don't do this baby" he begged.

"Silas let go" she demanded. "No. No. I won't do that you don't understand" she pushed him away.

Her hand went across his face, his cheek flowed red and her hand stung. He was shocked, but he didn't let it show. "I deserve that" he admitted.

She hit him again. Hitting his chest, over and over again. Beating on him hoping he felt the pain she was feeling. "I hate you." She cried.

"I hate you so much" she kept hitting him. Finally, Silas grabbed her wrist pulling her into him. "I love you, every breath I take. Every fucking day I'm granted to be here on this earth I wanna spend it loving you. Only you!"

"Aren't you tired of this?!" She asked. "It's the same cycle, we get into it I run away. I come back. You say you sorry. We fuck, then things magically go back to normal" Emery was tired.

"It's not healthy Silas, it's toxic. Insanely toxic, and unhealthy and I don't want that. I want to be loved but not if it's gonna cost me my fucking sanity bro." She said exasperated.

Silas tried to embrace her. "No Silas. Only we know when we're fed up, when we're done" she said repeating the officer's words to him.

Silas knew she was right, but that wasn't them. They weren't all toxic, and he knew the good outweighed the bad he just needed her to see that.

"Tell me you don't love me" he demanded.

"What?"

"Tell me you don't love me. That the bad outweighs the good. That you don't want this anymore. Tell me that it was toxic the entire time." Silas demanded, knowing she couldn't.

Emery felt the tears running down her cheeks.

"Emery I'm a better man with you. I'm a calmer man, sane, happy. Baby I can't live without you. These last three days I've been punching holes in the wall like a fool. When I should've been at Tim's on my knees begging for you to come home" he confessed sadly.

"Silas—"

"Shh, just hear me out. Please" Emery nodded. "You have brought peace to my mind, and lit a fucking inferno in my heart. And I can guarantee that we'll have tough times, there'll be times when my anger gets the best of me. But if you're willing to be there with me, stand in the sun with me I promise to be the best man for you" Silas had dropped to one knee and Emery was in tears.

She was bawling, because this couldn't be happening. "I've been holding onto this for weeks now. I told no one about it because I needed to make sure we were real" he told her.

Reaching into his back pocket he pulled out a yellow velvet, box with a white bow on it. "I need you like the earth needs the sun. Like the fish need the ocean—hell like my food needs your seasoning" she laughed humorlessly.

"I love you Emery Smith, and I want to marry you. Life is too short, and I can't imagine living mine without you" he admitted.

Emery's heart was screaming yes, but her mind and body was saying no. "I can't.." she whispered.

"I can't say yes to this, not right now" she told him honestly.

Emery turned on her heels. "I'll wait" he confessed. "I'll wait however long it takes, sweet girl I can't see myself with no one else. It's you Emery, it's always been you" he told her.

Emery no longer wanted to get her stuff, to hell it with it. She needed to get away, she felt like she was suffocating. So she did, she ran.

But this time it would be different.

••••••••

SO THANK YALL A MILLION TIMES OVER FOR COMING ON THIS EMOTIONAL ASS ROLLERCOASTER🥹 I LOVE YALL. SO MUCH. I WILL BE WRITING A NEW BOOK SOON...

SO PLEASE GIVE IT A READ. AND YALL JUST CONTINUE TO BE GREAT LOL💋😭