three.

Kandi

Kandi

"No! I don't want to hear that! You told me I was protected as long as they were anonymous." I yelled to my lawyer as I paced around her office.

"Yes, I did say that Ms.Burruss. However, I advised you that if a person you wrote about was able to find something identifiable from your book they could use it against you and sue for defamation. I'm not saying that's the case for her because I've read the material and I haven't found anything credible but if she's threatening to sue we should take it serious."

"You should've told me not to publish this book! Do you know what this could do to my reputation?! She's threatening to not only take me to court but blast this all over the media...I'll be finished!" I rambled as I ran my hands over my face.

I couldn't believe the message I received from Tamika this morning after being left on seen all night.

She really intended to sue me for something as petty as being written about in my book. I never once mentioned who she was or what she looked like yet I'm still being faced with a potential lawsuit because she can't let go of the past.

To say I was furious would be an understatement. This undermines my entire life's work. I prided myself on being ethical but now she was ready to let the world know that was everything but true.

"I understand this is frustrating and you know I'll fight this until I can't fight anymore but, can I offer some advice?" She asked and I stopped pacing to nod my head at her.

"This seems personal to her and you don't need to tell me why but you need to rectify the situation the best way you can so it doesn't ruin you or your reputation. So meet with her, beg for her forgiveness, and do whatever it takes." She added.

I nodded, swallowing hard as I took a seat on her couch in the corner of her office.

"I-I'm wrong for what I did. Aren't I?" I exhaled, awaiting her response. The question was less about the book and more about our history that she knew nothing about. I don't even know why I asked her that.

"You're well within your right to speak your truth. Whether people agree with it is not up to you. But I promise you we'll make it out of this.." She said reaching across from her place in the chair across from me to hold my hands.

"Thank you, Shamea. I really appreciate all your help.."

"It's what I'm here for. Now! Go home and rest before figuring out how to get Ms.Chapter one to talk.."

"Alright I guess I can do that." I said as I stood up and grabbed my purse throwing it over my shoulder.

"Bye Kandi, have a good day." She smiled.

"Bye Shamea.." I opened the door and made my way out of her office.

I made my way out of the building and got into my car. The minute I got inside I let my head rest onto the steering wheel not believing what just happened.