thirty-five.

Kandi

"Kandi I realized the way I've treated you may not have been fair to you. I was caught up in my own emotions but Tamika helped me see that.." My mom expressed in the secluded hallway of the hospital.

I didn't what to hear anything she had to say. A couple months ago seeing her on what was supposed to be one of the happiest days of my life would've broke me. But not today.

"Mom, I appreciate that, I've always wanted to hear it and I forgive but that ship has already sailed.."  I replied.

"What do you mean?! I love you, I wanna be there for you and I hear you're married and have a baby—"

"Unfortunately, that can't happen. You hurt me for years and you think one simple apology simply because you want to see my child will fix everything?"

"But baby—" "—But nothing! You missed my wedding!" I cut her off, gritting my teeth.

"Kandi, I didn't mean to—"

"Please leave...I have nothing else to say to you.."

I was mentally checked out from my mother's antics. I had no tears left for her. She wanted to repair what was broken, but I'd already thrown all the pieces in the trash.

______
1 week later...
I sat in the living room holding Maia. She was so tiny and precious. As I looked at my daughter I couldn't imagine raising her and treating her as my mom treated me. In that moment I knew I'd be the best mom in the world just like Tamika said.

"Baby or the bags?" Tamika asked as she came into the living room holding the car seat.

"First of all you aren't supposed to be lifting that.." She rolled her eyes before placing the car seat down next to me.

"I'll assume that means I'm getting the bags!" She sarcastically smiled before going to unlock the car.

Once we were all loaded into the car, I started driving towards the photographer studio. It was an hour away but it was worth it considering the photos she took were amazing.

As soon as we arrived Maia woke up, ruining our entire plan. The photographer was thankfully patient and allowed us to feed her while she played around with the lighting.

"Someone was hungry.." I laughed as I ran my finger over her cheek. Tamika held her in a cradled position to feed her while sitting in a chair.

"Baby, did we pack the nursing pads?" Tamika asked and I went to check. I brought back two and she thanked me as we switched.

She handed me Maia so I could burp her and I handed her the nursing pads so she wouldn't have any leaks.

After burping Maia and rocking her for some time she fell asleep once again. I carefully handed her off to the photographer so she could start taking pictures.