twenty-eight.

3 weeks later...
Kandi

I sat up against the pillows on our shared bed while rewatching Bridgerton. as I awaited Tamika to get home. It was nearing three in the morning and the last I heard from her she was helping out her second location clean because they were short-staffed.

I'd had grace and been patient with her the last few weeks. After our anniversary we were of course busy decorating the house and then I had a business trip that sent me away for a few days.

Once I was back she was very busy managing her two restaurants and now a food truck. I knew this was her dream and she was committed to her unpredictable, long hours, but I just wanted to spend time with her.

It felt like we rarely did anymore. I mean, we haven't even discussed our supposed wedding since our official proposal.

I snuggled into the pillows on her side of the bed and breathed in her scent as I continued to wait. The door creaked a little and I sat up expecting to see Tamika but was met with our cat, Cupid.

"Hi, Cupid!" I smiled and he meowed in reply as he jumped onto the bed. "You know Mama doesn't like you on the bed but she's not here so I guess she'll just have to deal with it.."

He meowed again followed by a soft purr as I scratched behind his ear. I started getting back into the show as I continued to pet him. A couple of minutes went by and I heard the door creak again causing Cupid to run off the bed.

"Uh-huh! I caught you.." She laughed before scooping Cupid up into her arms. He purred into her chest as she removed her shoes and then moved over to the bed.

"Hey, baby.." She smiled and leaned in to kiss me. I allowed it but refused to let it go further than a peck. Waiting up for her made me tired which meant it was no reason for me to lead her on knowing I was too tired.

"Why you kissing me like we kids?" She pouted and leaned again once again. My eyes rolled as I allowed her to kiss me and deepen it this time.

Her tongue slid into my mouth and we kept kissing until I pulled back. "Alright, that's enough." I moved back over to my side of the bed and lay down waiting for her to join me.

I fell asleep and woke up a couple of minutes later as I felt her climb into bed with me. I rolled and laid my head on her chest as her arms wrapped around me.

I knew I should probably address my feelings but it didn't feel like the time. I could tell she was tired and so was I. For now, we needed sleep and I had hope that when I woke up she had time for me.

If not I'd simply make time for her.

________
The next morning...

"Baby.." I heard Tamika softly whisper into my ear as I began to stir awake from my sleep.

"Hm?" I blinked a few times allowing my eyes to adjust to the light shining through our windows.

"I gotta go to the restaurant real quick.."

"No.." I mumbled before pulling back into bed with me. I could feel her laughing adding my neck but I didn't find anything funny.

There's no way she has to go this early after staying so late last night.

"What you mean 'no'?" She laughed.