eight.

Kandi

Kandi

My stomach was in knots as I walked up to Tamika's mom's house for her party. I could hear the music from inside , merged with the voices of several people.

It was so loud I wasn't sure I felt like socializing anymore. I knew my mom was in attendance which guaranteed the presence of the rest of their shared nosy friends. Not to mention Tamika already briefed me that her sister and friends not only knew about my newest book but loved it. Awkward.

This would be fine if I wrote about liberation or world peace but no I wrote disgusting filthy sex stories that happened to me in real life.

I took a deep breath as I twisted the door knob open and walked into the house. People littered every inch of the house. I thought I would have atleast of few seconds to breath some more when I walked inside the house but there were people standing directly in the doorway.

I gave a polite smile to guest as I walked through and scanned the house for the first familiar face. It wasn't until I made it into the dining room that I was faced with Tamika's sister.

"Hey Kandi..." She spoke, politely as everyone else just stared. "Hey...have you seen your sister?" I asked and she shook her head before standing from her seat.

"She's probably hiding out in the basement. I'll walk you.."She offered and I nodded before following her through the large groups of people.

"I don't know why I'm acting like you didn't practically grow up in this house.." She laughed and I shook my head as the memories started to flood back into my head.

"Kandi!" My mother yelled and my six year old self ran down the steps following her voice.

I made it to the living room to find a woman around my mother's age accompanied by two little girls.

"Kandi, this is Gloria and her two daughters LaTocha and Tamika. They just moved in next door.."

"Hi.." I smiled and they both smiled back with a tiny wave. "Why don't you girls go play? Kandi play nicely.."

"Okay, mommy.." I said and turned on my heels showing the girls to my room.

"Ugh—that feels like so long ago though.." I laughed and she shrugged. "It does.."

We made it into the basement and sure enough Tamika was seated on the couch in the finished basement watching tv.

"I told you. This child is allergic to fun!" She said which alerted Tamika that she was no longer alone. "Oh hey, Kandi.." She smiled and I smiled back.

Her sister turned to leave and for a second I thought I got away with my book not being brought into the conversation until she stopped in her tracks.

"Oh! By the way... that book, girlll! It's too good.." She laughed.