twelve.

Kandi

Kandi

I put on a fake smile for the cameras as I walked through the carpet entrance. I wanted nothing more than to be home in my bed like I had been for the past week.

But I couldn't. I was nominated for an award at the Unique Writers Foundation. Even if I didn't win, it was an honor to be recognized amongst other amazing writers.

I couldn't help but feel a tinge of sadness as I walked the events carpet alone. As much as I was mad at Tamika right now I wish she was here with me.

It really made me think about the state of loneliness I was accustomed too. I wanted to have people around me who loved me but for some reason or another it never worked in my favor.

"Kandi! Over here!" A reporter said, catching my eye. I walked over to her with a smile getting a small concerned look from my manager from a distance.

I usually avoided unscheduled press or interviews but she seemed nice and she was the only black reporter I'd seen thus far.

"Hi, how are you?" I said as I made my way over to her. "I'm doing just as good as you look. Do you have time for a small interview?" She asked with a pleading look and I smiled before agreeing to the interview.

She only asked a few questions, nothing personal, and they all pertained to my work. I was very grateful for that. She actually seemed excited to talk to me as a person and not just trying to get a story to sale.

We took a picture together and I ended up following her back on instagram. After that I was rushed inside the venue by my manager we went to find our seats.

"You alright?" Sonya, my manger asked and I nodded before we took our seats.

"You know you could've brought someone else with you, right?" She said and I just laughed.

She was always trying to subtly get into my business without actually getting in my business. It was funny to me. "I wanted to bring the person who helped me get here the most so here we are.."

"But you already had a ticket—I don't understand." She sarcastically replied.

"Just be thankful and remember I love presents!" I laughed. We continued to crack jokes until the lights dimmed and the host came onto the stage.

The night went by so quickly I didn't realize my category had been announced. It wasn't until my manger started screaming and tugging on my arm.

"Girl that's you!! Get the fuck up there!" I heard her yell and then stood in complete shock as I saw the entire room standing while clapping for me.

I made my way onto the stage and watched in awe as so many people applauded for me. As the applause died down it dawned on me I hadn't even took the time to prepare a speech.

I really didn't expect to win.

I stood in front of the mic and quickly made something up before being ushered back stage. The rest of the night was a blur as I thought of how I could celebrate.