The Map Chamber

Rosalie thanked her lucky stars that the Floo Flame station in the Map Chamber hadn't been removed. She supposed it made sense, the administration who made the decision to take the stations out likely didn't know this place existed.

To her surprise, the Gryffindor trio were already waiting on the top of the  stairs. Ron was looking around in either nervousness or awe, Rose couldn't quite tell. Hermione clutched a large book to her chest, and excitedly ran over to Rose when she appeared.

The girl pulled Rose into a one armed hug, "I have the book. It was exactly where you said it would be."

"Though I think we gave that poor house elf a stroke going in there," Harry chuckled as he approached the pair. After Hermione let go, Harry pulled Rose into a tight hug. He whispered in her ear so quietly that no one else would hear, "Can you stick around after we're done here? I need to talk to someone... the rest of them won't listen to me."

"Of course," the girl squeezed Harry back tightly.

"What was that house elf's name? Doink?" Ron thought for a moment before shaking his head, "He said that nobody had been in there for ages."

"Wait, Deek?" Rosalie perked up, "He's still alive?"

"Yes!" Hermione smiled, "Perhaps after this you should go up to the Room of Requirement and see him."

"I'd love that," Rosalie looks at Harry, "You should come with me, Potter. I'm sure I have supplies in there that will be useful for you."

"But what about u-?" Sebastian began to ask.

"You go back to the Weasley's. Harry and I have it covered," Rose shot a look to Sebastian that said 'I'll tell you later.'

"Anyway. Hermione, the book please." Hermione handed her the book, "I'll go first. If those gods forsaken portraits are still around, I'll have alot of explaining to do."

With that, the group began descending the winding stairs. Rosalie heards gasps of amazement as the Map Chamber cane into view. She held up a hand to them, indicating for them to stop at the bottom of the stairs.

The sense of power emanating from this place was strong. So strong, infact, that Rosalie was sure even her friends could feel it. Her eyes and tattoo reacted to the magic, glowing a bright blue. While the Slytherin boys were used to such happenings, the Gryffindor trio couldn't help but be amazed.

They watched as Rosalie approached the podium where the book would be placed.

"She looks...." Ron started, unable to find the words.

"Inhuman?" Harry offered.

"Powerful?" Ominis added.

"Like a goddess?" Hermione spoke resolutely.

"Ethereal." Sebastian answered, "She's ethereal."

"That's a big word for you, mate." Ominis chuckled.

"Can it, Blind Boy." Sebastian shot back, but the playfulness was clear in his voice.

Rosalie sat the book in the pedestal, and while everyone held their breath...

Nothing happened.

The group went to approach Rose to see what was going on, but she held up her hand again. This time, the gesture send a wave of power toward them gently pushing them back behind the safety of the wall.

"Stay back," That extra something was back behind Rosalie's voice, "Somethings wrong."

The entirety of the cavernous chamber began to shake. The Gryffindors turned to the Slytherin boys, surprised when they only muttered, "Oh fuck." In unison.

The floor of the map chamber opened, and a massive stone guardian rose from the gap. Rosalie had fought what felt like hundreds of them, but this one was massive.

"Holy shit." Rose's voice was purely hers again, "Stay back. I've got this."

She climbed up onto the podium, and launched herself onto the massive creature.

Harry went to lunge forward, but Sebastians hands grabbed his arms to hold him back.

"What are you doing," Harry shouted over the cacophony of explosions, "We have to help her!"

"We can't, mate!" Sebastian said struggling to hold Harry back, "It has to be her. These trials were to prove that she's powerful enough, I assume that's what this is now."

"You assume?" Hermione shouts in disbelief, "You assume? She could be killed and you are holding us back off of an assumption?"

"We were there! We've been through this before God damn it!" Sebastian began yelling.

Ominis, however, toned out the screaming match. He, apparently, was the only one to feel the energy building up. The guardian was weakening, but Rosalie was too close. The thing was going to blow.

Without anyone realizing in time to stop him, he ran. The giant guardian began to stumble as he made it down the stairs to Rosalie.

"Come on!" He shouted as he grabbed her, ushering up the stairs infront of him. The energy surges were near unbearable now. How did the others not feel this? Ominis thought. They were almost there, to the wall the others were safely behind. It was odd, the way he could sense the shapes and breaks in the energy. It was like he could see the outlines of the others and the structures around him

The energy pulses strengthened, and Ominis knew he wasn't going to make it in time.  But Rosalie was close enough that she could. If only with a little nudge...

"Depulso!" He pushed Rosalie to safety. And as the word left his mouth, the guardian exploded, releasing all of the magic that powered it.

◇◇◇◆◇◇◇◆◇◇◇◆◇◇◇◆◇◇◇◆◇◇◇
Meanwhile, the others were busy bickering until Rosalie was thrown into them. Then, at once, a deafening explosion rang out. The room shook so violently that Ron was sure that this was it. They'd die, buried in a forgotten chamber under hogwarts.

Then, the silence that followed was deafening. The explosion was over, but the ringing in their ears was almost enough to drown out the sound of Rosalies screams.

Almost.

"Ominis," she wailed as she sprung to her feet. In a dash of blue power, she ran with inhuman speed to the boy who was now a crumpled figure on the staircase that lead to the floor of the map chamber. The floor which was now closed again.

"Ominis, please!" The girl's heart wrenching wails were enough to make Hermione want to vomit. Sebastian pushed his way between the Gryffindors, falling to his knees beside Rosalie.

"The boy will be fine," a woman's voice came from the other side of the chamber. Rose turned to look at one of the large portraits.

"Niamh," she gasped between tears.

"The explosion would not have killed you, child. It was designed to eliminate any non-amcient magic wielders." The  portrait of the old Headmaster spoke gently to Rosalie.

"But," Rosalie tried to hide her sob, "He wasn't like me. He couldn't..."

"It appears he can, my dear." Niamh spoke gently again, "Remember how you found out that you were a wielder?"

"It's because I could see the traces that others couldn't... oh." Rosalie realized. Ominis had always been extremely sensitive to all types of magic, but they had just assumed it was because he was blind...

Behind her, Ominis began to stir. She turned to kneel beside him again. He opened his eyes, groaning. They were still the same milky blue, but now they held a slight glow...

And they looked right into her own.

______________________________________
A/n: 👀