Chapter 4

"Sir, please wake up, we have almost arrived at our destination," the flight attendant asks as she gently pushes his arm.

Jimin slowly wakes up and then remembers where he is. He stretches and checks the time on his phone as he props up his chair and takes a few sips from his bottle of water.

Before they land, he quickly goes to the toilet and freshens up a bit at the fountain in the small room.

After the plane lands at JFK Airport and they arrive at the gate, Jimin grabs his backpack and walks off the plane. After going through customs and collecting his luggage, he walks into the arrivals hall. Jimin has never been outside South Korea and he looks around. Wow, impressive, he thinks.

He looks at the signs and tries to figure out where to go for a taxi. He quickly found it and walked outside to the taxi stand with his luggage.

A friendly taxi driver puts his luggage in the trunk of his taxi and indicates that Jimin can take a seat in the back. Jimin tells him in his best English where to go and the taxi driver starts the car. They drive through New York and Jimin is amazed, there is so much to see.

"Is this your first time coming here?" the driver asks.

"Yes," Jimin says. "I have never been so far from home. I come here to study and I am very curious about the city of New York."

"Do you already know which direction you want to take with your studies?" the driver asks.

"Yes, I would like to become a dancer, so I am going to study dance and music," Jimin says. "One day I hope I can show the world who I am."

"That's a good goal to work towards," says the driver. "I wish you the best of luck with it and who knows, maybe I'll see you on TV again someday," he says, smiling. "By the way, I'm Steve and here you have my card, if you ever need help or a taxi ride again, just call." Jimin smiles. "Thank you Steve, I'm Jimin and I'll keep the card safe."

They reach the university and Steve gets Jimin's luggage out of the car and they wish each other a nice day. Jimin walks to the building where he has to report according to the instructions and is greeted enthusiastically by an older woman.

"Hi, I'm Park Jimin and according to the instructions I received, I have to report here to be assigned my room."

"Hi Jimin, I'm Becky and if you would like to give me your papers and passport, I will arrange everything for you and walk you to your room." Jimin hands over his papers and takes a seat in the waiting area. In the meantime, he checks his phone and sees that it is early afternoon and decides to send his parents and Jin a message that he has arrived safely in New York and that he is now at the university.

Becky now returns with the papers and his passport and gives him a key to his dorm. "Come along, I will take you to your room and I will immediately show you the area so that you know where to find everything." And they walk outside together.

The campus is a large area and currently they walk through a large park, with a large fountain in the middle. There are many benches around it, where you can enjoy your break. In addition to the university itself, there are also other buildings on the site such as libraries, lecture halls, student centers, etc.

Jimin finds it very impressive and is amazed. "During the summer break it is very quiet and there are not many students around", Becky says and they arrive at another building where the dorms are located. Becky takes Jimin to the elevator and they go to the second floor. They stop at room 210 and Becky asks Jimin to open the door with the key he just got from her.

"Hello, is anyone there?" Becky calls before they step inside, but she gets no answer. "It looks like your roommate isn't here yet. I think he will come soon. In the meantime, I'll show you everything in this room.

Jimin walks into his room and sees two beds. There are also two wardrobes and two desks on each side of the room. As he continues walking with Becky, she shows him the small kitchen and further on the bathroom. It is not large, but spacious for two people. Becky also explains where he can do his laundry and where he can do some shopping. There are also various eateries and restaurants in the area or students can have their food delivered. Becky explains the rest of the rules to Jimin and then it's time for her to go.

"I wish you the best of luck here at university and I hope you have a good time. If there is anything else or you have any questions, please feel free to come to me," says Becky.

Jimin bows, "thank you Becky for the tour and the good explanation. I think everything will be fine," Jimin says.

When Becky is gone, Jimin starts unpacking his luggage and while he's doing it, he hears the door open and two people enter. A boy with red hair with a happy vibe around him. He has a bag in his hand and Jimin guesses that he just went shopping. The girl has blond hair and stands a little shyly behind the boy.

Jimin turns to them and asks "Hi, are you my roommate?"

"Yes," says the boy, "I'm Jung Hoseok, but you can also call me Hobi, I'm 23 years old and I've been here for a year now. I major in dance and music. And who are you?"

"I'm Park Jimin and I arrived in New York today. I am 22 years old and I am also going into dance and music," he says enthusiastically. "Nice to meet you. And who are you," Jimin asks the girl.

"My name is Lauren, I am a good friend of Hobi and I live in room 207. I am also 22 years old and I am also following the same direction as you. I have now completed my first year and I really enjoyed it. It is a nice study with many people of different nationalities. Hobi and I clicked immediately. Over the course of the year we have met many more young people and we organize many fun parties to do something other than studying.

Maybe later we can go into town together and show Jimin around a bit," Lauren tells Hobi.

"That seems like a good idea to me, so we can get to know each other a little better," says Hobi. Jimin nods and when he finishes putting away his luggage, they decide to go. Jimin looks at his room and at the two young people in front of him. He has the feeling that things will turn out fine.