𝟜𝟡.

"Ah- fuck..."

Waking up to my phone buzzing, I clutched my throbbing head, the brightness of my room not making things any better. "Hello?" I then answer my phone. "Y/N! WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?!" A very impatient Aisha screams into my ear, making my headache worse.

Groaning like a braindead zombie, I took in a couple of deep breaths, I chugged down the glass of water placed by my nightstand, having some aspirin to help with the headaches before plopping back on my bed again.

"What's up?" I then greet the girl, whom I figured, finally must've had some time to chill out. "Dude, I've been calling you and texting you for 2 hours straight!" She scoffs. "Just how deep asleep were you?!" She asks. "Agh, please not so loud..." I mumble, cringing a little.

"Well what did you expect, Aisha? The girl was drunk as a fucking skunk!" I hear Eli chuckle. "Not not, Hawk." Aisha sighs. "Wait, Hawk's with you?" I ask, confused. "What's going on?" I question. "Don't tell me you actually forgot." Eli scoffs.

"Dude- The tournament! It starts in an hour and Sensei's still not here!" Aisha panics, making me drop down my phone as the realization hit me. "Shit-" I curse. "I'll be there in 10, gang." I quickly hang up, rushing to the bathroom.

After taking a quick, cold shower to help with my headache, I quickly tied my hair in a messy ponytail/braid (whatever you want) and quickly changed into something athletic and comfortable. I did my usual routine in under 10 minutes today, and quickly packed my gi.

After everything was done, I did a few jumping jacks and pushups to warm myself up, and darted outta the room, grabbing an apple. "Woah woah woah- Where do you think you're going?" My mom suddenly blocks my way, as I made it for the door.

"Mom?" My eyes widen with shock and fear. "You're here?" I ask, wondering why she wasn't on her way to Europe already. "I heard about the party." She crosses her arms. "You seemed pretty wasted when the cops drove you, and your friends home." She states, making my heart sink.

"So... Cobra Kai, huh? That's the dojo you're fighting for." She narrows her eyes. "Daniel warned me about your company. I guess I should've listened." She mumbles. "Mom, now's really not the time... I've got to go!" I speak, clearly in a rush.

"Oh, you're not going anywhere." She scoffs. "In fact, you're grounded." She says. "What? Why?!" I ask, not believing this woman right now. "Oh, I don't know... Underage drinking, trespassing, destruction of public property?" She names a few very valid reasons.

"Ever since this Karate training started... It's as if I don't even know you anymore." She scoffs. "Your grades are dropping, your company is getting worse, and you're always just so... Angry." She states. "This is not like you." She frowns, making me roll my eyes.

"Why? Because I'm not following you around like a damn tail anymore?" I snap. "I'm sorry?" My mom raises my brow. "You know mom, I am just so tired of always doing as I'm told just to safeguard YOUR reputation all the time." I scoff.

"Everything that I've ever done has always been for you, and yet you always act as if I'm the selfish one here." I shrug. "Oh please- It's just the bare minimum you can do to repay me for all that I've done." She rolls her eyes. "Repay you? Is that how you really feel about raising me?" I ask.

"Oh, don't be overdramatic, y/n." My mom sighs. "Everything is about business at the end of the day." She justifies. "Yeah but... not when it comes to love?" I scoff, ignoring the wave of betrayal that just engulfed me. "ESPECIALLY when it comes to love." She corrects.

"If we didn't love you, do you seriously think we'd allow you to wear such expensive clothes and live in such a beautiful house?" She asks. "That has nothing to do with love. The only reason you spend on me is because money is literally all you have to offer!" I snap.

"I didn't ask for any of this! All I ever wanted was to be happy with my family. And I did find that... Just not with MY family." I raise my voice as tears pool up in my eyes. "Go to your room, y/n." My mom states firmly, avoiding my eyes.

"All you've ever cared about was what others thought of us. But did you ever wonder how I felt all those nights, eating dinner alone as all my friends would have fun with their families?" I ask. "Don't test my patience, y/n." My mom simply sighs.

"Did you ever think about what it must've been like for me to celebrate literally every holiday alone, as you and dad would be too busy sealing the deal with random people you'd never see again?" I hammer, finally making her snap. 

"GO TO YOUR ROOM, NOW!" She yells.

"And give me your phone." She adds. "No more karate for you, and no more friends until you finally learn how to behave." She states. "You're grounded." She puts her foot down as the tears began trickling down my cheeks.

So many things in such little time... Not only did I lose Eli, last night, but also the only place I ever truly felt safe. My karate dojo, with my fellow Cobras. The only ones who always made me feel belong. The ones who'd always love me for who I am, and not expect anything in return.

The only ones I could consider my real family...

Walking up the stairs, my phone rang again. "I thought I asked you to give it to me." My mom rests her hands on her hips, and I whip my phone out, seeing my wallpaper. It was a group photo of my friends and I, chilling at the dojo after breaking some boards.

I remember that day as if it were yesterday. Smiling at the picture, I got another call. This time it was from Miguel himself, and that's when Sensei's voice began ringing in my head. 'Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?'  

And that's when I finally decided to stand my ground, and fight for the only thing in my life that was worth losing everything else for.

"No." I simply say, turning back, wiping my tears.

"Excuse me?" My mom asks, confused. "I said, no." I repeat, louder. "For a long time, ever since I was born, actually... Things have always been about you." I walk closer to my mom. "But for the first time in your life, it's not going to end this way." I add.

"Ground me all you want, but today, I am going." I state. "Today, I am going to walk out that door, fight for everything I believe in, kick some major ass." I list, facing my mom, ready to dart out the door before she processes everything that's going on.

"And there is nothing you can do about it."