Chapter 3

"What do you mean by suddenly wanting to die?"

Ilnam's eyes widened in surprise. Had he said something wrong just now? Or had something happened to his son without his knowledge? He had already felt a bit uneasy about recent changes in Junwoo's behavior, but the sudden desire to die was unexpected.

"That's the only way I think I can end it."

"To end what? Junwoo, you're only fifteen!"

"That's right. I can't live like this anymore."

"What on earth does this mean?" Ilnam blinked in bewilderment, his face showing confusion.

"I want to try that 'different path' you mentioned, Dad."

Ilnam's expression changed from being stunned to understanding Junwoo's intention behind those words.

It must be about faking his death and disappearing.

"...Have you never considered any other options?"

"You know it too, Dad. Simply leaving isn't a possible option."

Ilnam had no choice but to agree. This was the only method to deceive Jang Jun-hwan completely.

Ilnam set down the spoon and gulped down the reality before him. He wasn't sure what change had occurred in his emotions, but regardless, what he had longed for was coming from his son's lips.

"Do you have something you truly want to do?"

"I'm not sure yet. I'll leave that for later."

"I see."

But Ilnam doesn't know why there's a tinge of sadness in his heart.

"Are you saying you'll leave us forever?"

"Well, I'm not sure. Maybe it'll turn out that way."

"Hmm..."

"What about you, Dad?"

"Yeah?"

"Come with me."

"...With you?"

It had never been something he had considered before. But undoubtedly, his emotions were swaying. Had the reason he had held onto this position all this time been for his son alone?

For a moment, Ilnam imagined a mundane daily life with his son in a place far away from here.

However... that imagination crumbled quickly. To him, who had lived like this, even such an ordinary life seemed like a grand dream. Ilnam had to firmly set his mind.

"If I leave as well, there's a high chance of getting caught. You know it's already risky with just you disappearing, don't you?"

"......"

"It seems like it's time for you to focus on your plan."

Junwoo felt a bit saddened. It was an impulsive suggestion, but he couldn't just leave Ilnam like this.

Perhaps his resolve wouldn't falter. He knew that. Ilnam is a father who wouldn't give in if he thought it would harm his son, even in the slightest.

It might be difficult right now. Taking Ilnam along might need to be postponed for a bit.

That, too, would only be possible after the current plan succeeded perfectly. Ilnam was right.

"...Thank you for raising me, Dad."

Junwoo bowed his head as if it were a final farewell.

"Still, try to drink less."

Ilnam remained silent for a while.