Chapter 6

Mansik was waiting for a response, his fist clenched.

"I don't have one."

"You don't have a name?"

"Yes. I don't have a name."

A person without a name. Even a stray dog around here has a name attached to it.

Why does he have to convey the unwillingness to share the information with such a soft tone?

"Do you live around here?"

"..."

The boy didn't respond. Upon reflection, it seemed like a question that didn't require an answer. The expression on the boy's face seemed to ask, "Why bother asking such a thing?"

Though he didn't intend to be angry, Mansik couldn't understand why he was speaking in a tone that suggested irritation. Was it due to some petty desire for revenge stemming from things that had bothered him before? Observing Mansik, who was scowling fiercely, the boy suddenly bowed his head as if realizing something.

"I'm sorry. I thought it was okay because you didn't say anything until now."

"No, that's not it. What I mean is—"

"I won't come back now."

"Hey, you...!"

The boy turned his back and walked away without a word.

"Oh."

Then, as if he had remembered something, the boy returned and handed something to Mansik. It was a few crumpled bills.

"What's this?"

"I enjoyed it again today. It was a bit disappointing that it got cut off in the middle."

Did he not watch until the end today? The four bills had become three.

"Hey, you...!"

While he was still trying to comprehend what had just happened, the boy was already disappearing into the distance.

***

"The damn fool didn't show up. I knew he'd do this."

The next day, the boy could be found in front of the theater again. Still dressed in work clothes, he sat casually on the steps, not entering inside.

Mansik was exhausted. Dealing with a barrage of complaints on the phone yesterday had drained his energy. He thought cursing would at least fill him up, but now he felt hungry.

But does this guy even eat? Mansik approached the steps. The boy seemed to have nothing to do here, sporting a vacant expression.

"Why are you here again? When did I say you can stop coming?"

"..."

As if asking if there was any problem, for a brief moment, Mansik observed the boy's plump face. Upon looking closer, he noticed that the boy's left shoulder seemed awkwardly twitched. It seemed like there was some trouble or issue while working.

"Are you hurt?"

"Oh, this? It's nothing."

The boy shrugged his shoulders in various directions, displaying an attitude that it wasn't much of a problem. Mansik thought of the first aid supplies that would likely be available inside the theater. However, he couldn't just ignore a young kid who seemed injured right before him.

The boy didn't budge. Instead, he blinked his eyes, expressing a look that seemed to say, "Why make a fuss about something like this?"

"It looks like you've grown up nicely."