Chapter 46

With the broadcast approaching, the remaining participants were set to continue filming overseas for a while.

They would spend this preparation period practicing there.

Before leaving, Junwoo had someone he wanted to meet.

The first person who came to mind as he prepared for the broadcast was his father.

He wanted to see Ilnam.

It had been almost three years since they had parted ways. The long separation made Junwoo hesitant to take the first step, but now he felt ready to face Ilnam properly. However,

...

Junwoo furrowed his brow in the empty quarters, filled only with drifting air.

He had anticipated this. Something had gone wrong because of his absence.

The traces of a hasty departure. If Ilnam had moved to another place, he would have left not a single clue behind.

Following the traces of the incidents he was involved in, tracking Ilnam's whereabouts wasn't particularly difficult. His days living as a con artist sometimes came in handy.

'So it has come to this.'

Junwoo's steps led him to Gunsan Prison.

He felt a mix of emotions stirring inside him.

Upon entering the visitation room, he saw Ilnam, dressed in prison garb, pretending to be indifferent while shaking his leg.

"Dad."

At that word, Ilnam quickly turned his head, his eyes widening in shock.

"Ju, Junwoo, is that you?"

Ilnam had thought it unlikely anyone would visit him. He assumed it might be one of those he had swindled.

Upon seeing the familiar face, Ilnam stood up abruptly.

"I'm sorry for coming so late."

"Junwoo!"

Junwoo had to spend some time calming down the excited Ilnam.

Once Ilnam's emotions had settled a bit, he looked at Junwoo properly, smiling weakly.

"My son, your face looks better. And you've cut your hair."

Ilnam grinned broadly. Despite the years apart, he looked the same.

"But son,"

Ilnam, with a hint of curiosity, lowered his voice and asked,

"Is visitation allowed?"

"No, it's not."

"Then how did you get here?"

Junwoo tilted his head, puzzled.

"That's a strange question coming from you, Dad."

Realizing what his son implied, Ilnam's eyebrows twisted in concern.

"Son! We agreed you wouldn't do that kind of thing anymore."

"This much is fine."

Ilnam pursed his lips.

"I don't do bad things anymore. Were you worried?"

"...I wasn't worried. Whatever you're doing, wherever you are, it's probably better than being here with us."

Ilnam laughed at his own words.

A fleeting bitterness crossed Junwoo's face.

"Why do you laugh about being in there?"