Chapter 61

Silence enveloped the remaining two contestants in the rehearsal room before the final stage.

Kang Hyeok was conscious of the awkward atmosphere floating between them.

"..."

He glanced at Junwoo, almost involuntarily.

Junwoo appeared unchanged, engrossed in the script he held.

It was the first time. The first time he would share the stage with this guy.

He hadn't wished for it, nor had he deliberately avoided it, but he hadn't expected to synchronize with him until the finals.

Kang Hyeok aimlessly flipped through the script in his hand.

He felt blank. Nothing was registering, not a stage direction, not a line.

"Since we can adapt the script, I'm thinking of changing the lines to a more contemporary style."

The silence was broken by Junwoo.

"What do you think?"

Junwoo looked up at Kang Hyeok.

"Yeah, that makes sense."

The script for the final mission,

'The Lost Portrait' was a bit different from the rest.

Published in 1701, it was a classic two-character play.

It was the conclusion of a long-acting journey. The final mission meant to return to the origins of acting and rediscover its essence.

"Remove these lines here and these as well. I'll tweak the flow later."

"You take these lines and these three. It fits better with your blocking in that scene."

Junwoo swiftly divided roles and revised scenes and lines.

Kang Hyeok had no chance to interject.

He knew it, but seeing it firsthand was unbelievable.

Kang Hyeok intermittently tried to inquire or object. Junwoo effortlessly provided all the answers. Nothing changed.

The stage was as good as constructed from the moment the script was first reviewed.

Before he knew it, everything was proceeding as Junwoo dictated.

It was incomprehensible to him.

At this crucial time, there was something more important, yet he spared no effort even in the remaining stage.

He knew what kind of person he was, yet Kang Hyeok felt a growing resentment bubbling within.

As soon as the rehearsal ended, Junwoo disappeared without a word.

Soon, only Kang Hyeok was left in the quiet rehearsal room.

He knew where Junwoo was headed. That's why he couldn't dare to ask for more practice or anything else.

Kang Hyeok remained in the empty rehearsal room until dawn. He had nowhere else to go. He couldn't muster the courage to return home in such a state.

"No matter how much you regret, your sin cannot be lightened."

Holding the script in one hand, Kang Hyeok walked around the large rehearsal room, performing alone.

"Stop it. Have you no pride left?"

Only Kang Hyeok's voice echoed in the still room.

"It's already spilled milk. It's already spilled..."