Chapter 7: Pt. 1

Ananya walked behind the thoughtful Alpha, making sure that she stayed at least three steps away from him. She studied the broadness of his shoulders and the wispy curls that his pitch-black hair made. Stray pink lines made their way up his back from under his shirt like veins and his clothes pulled tensely on his body.

"I honestly have no idea where I'm going," he turned and confessed with shy laughter. They stopped in the corner of a hallway, below a portrait of Mayor Dafowick. Ananya found herself engulfed by Oscar's shadow, but it did little to intimidate her.

She smiled. "These hallways can be confusing at times. Even I get lost sometimes, and I've been here for nearly a year." She gestured to the portrait above them. "Mayor Dafowick had this made for him by some artists at the college. They created a gray world with him being the only spot of color. Pretty cool, huh?"

Oscar nodded politely. "It's certainly artistic," he mused, his gaze settling on Ananya.

The young recruit felt his stare and a blush crept to her cheeks. "So," she cleared her throat. "You wanted to speak to me privately?"

"Yes." A frown graced his lips. "You and I will be working together for what may be months, perhaps a year. I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable around me, so I thought it would be best to get to know each other on a surface level to be able to have a sense of familiarity with each other." He had the decency to blush. "I know it may not be completely professional, but I understand that I'm quite an intimidating person, not to mention a werewolf."

Ananya grinned. "I don't find you to be intimidating," she said honestly, and a momentary shiver passed through her when she remembered what she did consider to be intimidating. The red saree never evaded her tumultuous thoughts. "I'm honored to be working with you, and I hope we can mend the bridge between humans and werewolves."

"I hope so as well, although my mind is currently preoccupied with this murderer." His eyes thawed. "I feel like a failure to my pack, if I'm being sincere, and a danger to mankind."

"You did nothing wrong," Ananya told him. "It's not like you killed them."

"I do not doubt that Officer Bayor suspects I'm lying," Oscar sighed. He glanced at his hands, willing his claws to stay hidden. "My stepfather's reputation precedes me. That horrible man has become my identity and it's something I want to escape. However, until this murderer is found, I'm always going to remain the number one suspect."

"You didn't mention this in front of Mayor Dafowick," Ananya noticed. "Why didn't you say anything?" She took a step close to him. "I know Officer Bayor doesn't like you, and while I'd like to say that her hatred is unfounded, I understand why..." she hesitated. "But I don't think you killed the students."

"How are you so sure?" Oscar glanced at her with a small smile. "I could be lying to your face for all you know."

Ananya mirrored his grin. "I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. In my mind, nobody is guilty until proven so."

"Isn't the saying; nobody is innocent until proven so?"

"Maybe." Ananya shrugged. "I don't dwell on specifics. My point remains, though."

"And that would be?"

"If I suspect everyone of being a killer, then I'm only torturing myself," she explained. "I'd gather useless evidence against them when they could have been drinking tea in their homes for all I know!"

"Fair point, Miss. Kaushikh."

"Ananya."

"Right, sorry." Oscar scratched the nape of his neck. "You're a force to be reckoned with, Ananya. I like you." He smiled.