Chapter 17: Pt. 3

Dhrys scowled, but it wasn't directed at Ananya. He studied the table for a moment, then looked in the direction of the bustling kitchen behind him. "Yeah," he said, at last, his voice low. "Whatever. What do you guys want to eat?"

"A chicken sandwich for me, please," Ananya chirped, seemingly unaware of his annoyance. "And some water."

"Alpha?" Dhrys glared at the wolf, who studied the menu with lazy, narrow eyes, trying to show that he was unperturbed by Dhrys's irritation.

"Soup, I guess. And some beer if you have it."

"Yeah." Dhrys noted their meals, then disappeared into the kitchen. Most of the chatter came from the tables behind them, so effectively, Ananya and Oscar were on their own.

"Dhrys is an amazing cook," Ananya chattered excitedly. She took a long sip of her water and sighed. "I was so happy when he was allowed to open a restaurant. It took a while to get everything approved. He even had to go to court a few times to fight his case."

"I'm happy that you're happy," Oscar said with a smile. "You know, before coming here, I was unaware of the segregation this town faced. I thought all humans lived in harmony, only afraid of our kind."

Ananya shrugged. "Even humans have their faults. It's a hierarchy here. Darwin's theory of evolution. This world is made for only the strongest to survive, and Bourdier lives by that motto. Those of us put here are the weak links." A waitress placed their meals in front of them. "Nobody cares about our talents or our aspirations. To them, we're nothing more than a bunch of liabilities." She picked a sesame seed from her bread. "Even our families see us like that."

Oscar, who was cutting through his salad while listening to her, paused. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I don't mean to sound like I'm pitying you, but I don't quite know what to say otherwise."

"It's okay. I know you're not saying that to be vindictive," Ananya said. She took a few bites from her food and sighed. "I don't want to damper the mood, though." She grinned. "Can you tell me a little about yourself?"

"What would you like to know?" He smiled.

"Hm...do you have family? Apart from your stepdad?"

"I have two younger half-sisters, but they've been married and gone for a long time," he explained. "My mother was killed when I was twenty. I never knew my biological dad." He shrugged. "I have an aunt, though. She's the Luna Queen."

"Really?" Ananya bounced on the stool. "That sounds so cool! So she's an actual queen?"

"Yes. Most Lunas are treated as such, but she's the head of them all. Her husband is the Alpha King. I'm his second-in-command." Oscar paused. "Oh, I also have a niece. She's two, I believe."

"That's adorable!" Ananya squealed. "I love babies! Oh, is she a puppy or a baby? Do you call werewolf babies puppies? Is she a wolf or a baby?"

"We call them pups." Oscar laughed. "And she can shift into a wolf when she turns four. Right now, she looks like your average human baby."

"Aww, I wish I could see her!" Ananya gushed. "I love babies and puppies! Putting them together is a dream come true!"

"They can be quite adorable." Finishing his food, Oscar placed some money on the counter. "It's on me. Do you want to go out for a bit? To the park, perhaps? It's not a long walk, and you can lean on me if you get tired."

"Okay." Ananya hesitated and glanced at the kitchen. Then, she took Oscar's arm and slipped out with him. She kept her gaze locked on her feet as they walked, feeling the ground through her worn sneakers. She noticed that her left foot moved crookedly. It wasn't straight like her right foot, but it'd been a problem for her since she was a child.

"We can slow down," Oscar, noticing her jerky movements, suggested. "Here. Let's take it step by step." He knelt and positioned her left foot straight, then held her arm. "One foot after the next. Try not to bend it inward. Go slowly."

Ananya flushed. "Okay." She did what he said, moving one foot then the other. She straightened her posture, swinging her free arm from front to back instead of side to side. She felt the wind cooperate with her - that was a first. Oscar's suggestion helped her move quicker and her body became lighter. Gravity worked with her for the first time, pushing her along gently. "I'm doing it! I'm doing it!" She laughed. "I'm walking like a normal person!"

"You were always a normal person."

"To who? Certainly not to my aunt."

"Maybe not to her, but to me, you've never been different." They stopped under a large, bright green tree. The wind brushed against their backs, moving them closer with a gentle push. "I started admiring you the moment you accepted the case. Your enthusiasm and positivity is something I've never encountered before, and...and when I found out that you were my mate, I was overjoyed." He blushed. "I've lived a dull life, Ananya. I grew up in fear, and now, people fear me. I'm not welcomed, and I've never been welcomed, not until I met you." He bent and their faces were at an equal height. "I really like you, Ananya. More than a partner, more than a friend."

Ananya heard her heart thrum in her ears. "Really?" She whispered. "Even though I'm different? Even though...even though I'm a human?"

He tucked her hair behind her ear, his fingers dragging over her sparkly headband. "That doesn't concern me the slightest. Whether you were a human, vampire, witch, or werewolf, I would have loved you all the same. You bring a ray of sunshine wherever you go, Ananya and you can call me selfish, but I want that sunshine all to myself."

She giggled. "And...suppose I say that you can have it?"

"Do you mean that?"

"Every word."

"Then I'd be the brightest, sparkliest wolf alive." He teased. He hesitated, then placed his hand on her hip. When she moved closer to him, he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling him close to her. "Will you be my Luna, Ananya? Will you be my sunshine?"

Ananya nodded. "I may not be well versed in werewolf history. I may not be strong, or fast, or even a werewolf, but...I'll try my best." She grinned. "I'll work hard!"

He chuckled. "That's all I could ask for and more." He leaned close to her. She smelt his warm, fresh scent, a smell reminiscent of a newly bought rug. "May I kiss you, then?"

Her blush grew furiously. "You may," she said, and when their lips came together, his hand curling around the back of her head and her arms linked with his, Ananya felt like she had found her home. She had found a place to be protected, to be loved, to be cared for. Oscar claimed that she was his sun, but really, Ananya felt like he was the light of her life. He believed in her. He trusted her. And Ananya melted into him as his lips covered hers, pouring every ounce of his affection into her with passionate haste. She believed, for a brief moment, that she could finally begin to live the life that she had craved for so long. She had no idea of the events awaiting her because as his fangs dug gently into her bottom lip and her heart leaped, she thought of nothing but how she never wanted him to stop kissing her. 

---()--()--()--

So...Oscar and Ananya have finally gotten together, but are their troubles done yet? What's taking Dafowick so long to accept Ananya? How will January Bayor react to Ananya's relationship with Oscar? How will her aunt react?